Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /va

Beans

Lightbulb Re: net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory

Quote Originally Posted by jetsam View Post
    OK. /opt/ is owned by root and should be, so I guess you need to do what you're doing if you really want to share it.

The problem now I think is you still have a ; in the line ; "usershare owner only = False. This makes it a comment. Try taking the ; and the " out and saving, then restarting Samba with:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
    Is there any particular reason you want to share /opt/? It's a pretty obscure part of the directory structure.

What is the folder you want to share? Did you create it yourself? Another, possibly better approach would be to change the ownership of the directory you are sharing.
    This worked like a pro! thanks for the little tidbit

Beans

Re: net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory

But what it means when I've got that error but I've never installed samba?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123