Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /va

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory

The samba server config tool is very handy as a GUI... but IMO the fastest way to setup a shared folder with any other comp/network access is via command line:

Code:
    sudo su
    net usershare add <sharename> <path>
    you can also just type "net usershare" (without quotes of course) to get all the options and parameters for this utility.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory

Rebooting does not fix the problem on my machine, as I still get the same error.

Code:
    'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error Permission denied
    You do not have permission to create a usershare. Ask your administrator to grant you permissions to create a share.
    heath holcomb
    liquidcable.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Damn, would have been nice to find that Samba Gui alot sooner... THX for the tip

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

basicly the directory isnt there or isnt readable.
    the easy fix is
    sudo chmod a+rwx /var/lib/samba/usershares/

Beans

Wink Re: net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory

Ubuntu users,

I'm a newb on ubuntu and I have figured out a few thingS by doing searches on google. I just wanted to say that I have followed what this site Prashanth speaks , instructed and I got the share folder issue to work and yes you have to restart ubuntu, and also when you are on a windows pc and trying to access file from ubuntu you also have to creat that username that you are logged in on your windows pc on to samba. follow the same step on that link.

"UBUNTU ROCKS"
    Last edited by C4B_ROCKs; October 11th, 2008 at 05:02 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pravinbravi View Post
    You can also install and try the following package

Code:
    sudo apt-get install system-config-samba
    a.k.a. Samba Server Configuration Tool 1.2.50

its a nice gui tool (repository present in hardy universe) for configuring and setting share in samba similar to editing samba.conf file.

GNOME menu listing: System>Administration>Samba

Enjoy!
    thanks for the SAMBA GUI Pravin, this is now going to help share all the folders I need to share out. with out typing...lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

What is not made clear is:
    Traditional shares, via config hacking or the samba control panel are not the same as shares created with the Ubuntu right click menu.

Shares created with the right click gnome ui are a 'new' type of share called a usershare. http://wiki.suselinuxsupport.de/wikk...ambaUsershares is worth a read.

smb.conf:
    Code:
    #usershare path = /var/lib/samba/usershares
    is the path to where EXTRA information needed by samba is stored to configure these new less secure share types.

The problems with the initial setup of these usershares seem to stem from
    a) not being installed as root initially
    b) being required to re-log for your group permissions to be updated

The configuration of both old and new types needs to be clarified and tidied up for normal users.
    As it stands it's far from obvious and this most basic of functions needs to 'just work'.

However, do not confuse this with a secondary issue of Samba shares not appearing in Nautilus when you access the workgroup icon. Direct connection smb://sharepc/folderonshare will work in this case and seems to be a Nautilus issue.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory

Quote Originally Posted by C4B_ROCKs View Post
    thanks for the SAMBA GUI Pravin, this is now going to help share all the folders I need to share out. with out typing...lol
    Thanks this worked for me

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pravinbravi View Post
    You can also install and try the following package

Code:
    sudo apt-get install system-config-samba
    a.k.a. Samba Server Configuration Tool 1.2.50

its a nice gui tool (repository present in hardy universe) for configuring and setting share in samba similar to editing samba.conf file.

GNOME menu listing: System>Administration>Samba

Enjoy!

That is a great solution! thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Awesome! thanks for the tip!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast