Thread: A couple of general questions from a n00b

Beans

A couple of general questions from a n00b

Hi all, thanks for all of your help so far! Feel free to answer all, one, or none of my questions. I've installed xubuntu on a really terrible laptop and it seems to be running fine, but the resolution has maxed out at 800X600 instead of 1024X768, leaving a 2" black bar between the image and the edge of the screen. I think my laptop may be too old to update, but what would be the easiest way to do this? (I know I should give you the model number but I will have to wait until I get home for that.)

Another question I had was if there is a way to disable the password box that pops up every few minutes when I am tweaking settings. I'm not really worried about someone breaking into my machine so it is more of a hassle than it is worth.

I tried opening some miscellaneous video and image files and I really liked the fact that the codecs downloaded automatically, but the player seemed kind of iffy. Are there some better players/image viewers you guys might suggest? For that matter are there any programs/general tips I should know about as a fresh user?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: A couple of general questions from a n00b

Another question I had was if there is a way to disable the password box that pops up every few minutes when I am tweaking settings. I'm not really worried about someone breaking into my machine so it is more of a hassle than it is worth.
    sudo su -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

vlc player has always been a favorite. rhythmbox is also good for music.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

sudo su -
    DO NOT DO THIS. Sorry, but nobody on this forum is supposed to help you to log in as root. It is dangerous, and you can lose your whole system. Do not do this. Use "sudo" followed by the command you want after it. This is the way to do things as superuser.
    Last edited by gr4nf; June 11th, 2008 at 06:37 PM. Reason: clarification
    !#> man women
    No manual entry for women

Beans

That makes sense, I suppose it would be bad for me to do commands without some sort of conformation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by gr4nf View Post
    DO NOT DO THIS. Sorry, but nobody on this forum is supposed to help you to log in as root.
    is there a rule? anyway, it is ok if someone understands the risks. after all, it is their computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

If you use

sudo su -

don't for get to exit it after you have done what you needed to do.

Beans

Thanks for the warnings. I just remembered, I also had a problem with the preference boxes being so big they went off the screen, so I couldn't press the 'ok' buttons. It's weird, but is there a way to fix this?

Beans

Does anyone know how to fix the improper display size problem?