Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Connect with my Belkin F5D7000 v6000

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Unhappy Can't Connect with my Belkin F5D7000 v6000

I can't say that I have tried it all, because if I had, it would probably be fixed, but I have searched and, apparently,
    no one has the exact version that I do.
    I have followed a well laid-out instruction to set up in Terminal.
    I have totally flushed my Xubuntu and reloaded after getting only one response on my last plea for help.

see my post: Noob F5D7000 installation woes

I don't know what to do.
    I really want to get into Linux via Xubuntu and possibly dump my Vista from my laptop and use Ubuntu,
    but without wireless, that will never happen.

Here's what I am seeing:
    My Belkin F5D7000 version 6000 is recognized by the system.
    My SSID is recognized by my wireless card.
    I have no security set up on my router to make it "easy".
    In the top right hand corner I have an X through my connection.
    When I right click there, it shows my SSID with a selection circle next to it.
    When I click it - I get a "working" motion icon, then back to the no connection icon.

I would appreciate some help. I will not give up on this, and use Bill's crap forever,
    but without help, it will take me a lot longer than the few WEEKS I have needlessly
    wasted on trying to get this wireless card up and connected.

BTW I am at work, doing this from memory, so I can't give you any Terminal command lists,
    but ask anyway and I will get them for you when I get home.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Can't Connect with my Belkin F5D7000 v6000

Since nobody has replied, I thought I make one. More as moral support than anything else. To be frank, I'm a noob when it comes to wireless. I'm lucky because two of my wireless set-ups worked out of box, without fiddling.

In your other threads, you mentioned following a howto by Kevdog, but you failed to include a link. I thought I mentioned it, since it might be helpful to trace your troubleshooting thus far.

Secondly, about 50% of people think wicd is better than the ubuntu's default network manager. You could investigate on replacing the nm with wicd.

Finally, this turns up after some google-fu
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=617297

What's the difference between v6000 and v7000?

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Can't Connect with my Belkin F5D7000 v6000

Thanks for the quick reply, Astala!

I haven't researched the differences between the v6000 and the v7000
    past the NDISwrapper website list of cards supported.
    When doing so, I got all excited as I went down the list..."rev2"..."v5000"..."v7000uk"...
    ...huh?...where's my v6000?
    Story of my life.

Anyway, I will look into WCID, though I have no idea what it is.
    Thanks for the new direction to look in!

Here's the link to Kevdog's 'how to' for your perusal.

Back to work, now...

Beans
    Distro

Red face Re: Can't Connect with my Belkin F5D7000 v6000

Ok. So, I tried WICD. I just knew it would be my savior! But alas, not so.

Now that I have WICD installed and Network Manager is gone, I can connect with my wired connection, but it doesn't recognize ANY wireless signals. On top of that, the program s e e m s t o b e r u n n i n g i n s l o w - m o t i o n . . .
    I am looking at the screen right now and it is hung up on the main WICD screen...and has been for about 15 minutes...

H E L P .

Beans
    Distro

Cool Re: Can't Connect with my Belkin F5D7000 v6000

Just you can see what I see...

lshw -C network

*-network DISABLED
    description: Wireless interface
    product: RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
    vendor: RaLink
    physical id: b
    bus info: pci@0000:00:0a.0
    logical name: wmaster0
    version: 00
    serial: 00:11:50:db:ee:f7
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rt61pci latency=32 module=rt61pci multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g

iwconfig

lo no wireless extentions

wmaster0 no wireless extentions

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Retry min limit:7 RTS trh: off Fragment thr=2346 B
    Link Quality:0 Signal Level:0 Noise Level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

lspci -n

00:00.0 0600: 1106:0598 (rev 04)
    00:01.0 0604: 1106:8598
    00:07.0 0601: 1106:0686 (rev 15)
    00:07.1 0101: 1106:0571 (rev 06)
    00:07.2 0c03: 1106:3038 (rev 06)
    00:07.4 0600: 1106:3057 (rev 10)
    00:08.0 0300: 1002:4755 (rev 9a)
    00:0a.0 0280: 1814:0301

Alrighty, then. Who can tell me why my network is DISABLED
    and how do I alleviate that?

Step right up! Who's first?

<<crickets chirping...>>

Beans
    Distro

...anyone?...

...anyone?...

...Bueller?...

Beans
    Distro

Cool Re: Can't Connect with my Belkin F5D7000 v6000

Okee-dokee.
    I guess I am basically going through this alone (except for your suggestion AstalaVista - thanks), and this is my online diary so that when someone finds me with my face on the keyboard, dead - they will know what I have been going through, and understand why I gave up the ghost.
    So...
    I have tried NDISwrapper - no dice.
    I have tried it without NDISwrapper - no dice.
    I have tried WICD - no dice.

What now?

I think I am going to try to re-install the Network Manager (since I had to get rid of it to install WICD) and do it all again. I have a hard head, and butting it against this thick Xubuntu wall hurts, but it will break first...

Again, I welcome any ideas... A N Y ideas...
    Last edited by adamtheestimator; July 6th, 2008 at 10:19 PM.

Beans

Hi. I was browsing here because I too, have a problem with my wireless networking. I saw your post and figured I would give some insight. First, If I remember correctly, the wireless device you are using is the belkin USB wireless adapter, True? Ok. I haven't backtracked all over the internet to read all your progress so I will post covering a few scenarios. I owned one of those belkin USB devices, the v5000 and the v4000. At the time, I was running ubuntu gutsy.(laptop) The v5000 did not work for me. So then I got ahold of a v4000, which worked (chipsets were changed), for about 2 days. So I then plugged the belkin into my desktop, (windows XP). Worked, but very intermittently. Long story short. The belkin USB thing is junk. Soon you will have to replace it anyway as they have died on 3 people I know. Why else would they change chipsets like, 7 times in 2 years? Windows don't like it much, and ubuntu hates it. Scenario 1: If your computer is a laptop, bite the bullet, spend a few buck on amazon like I did and get a minipci card. It solved all my problems. I got lucky, I found one on amazon ($24.99) and it turns out, It was a atheros chipset 108mbps wireless G!! Awesome card for ubuntu and windows (my laptop dual boots either), and way better then that shoddy belkin. Scenario 2: If you computer is a desktop, It's pretty much the same idea, Look around for a cheap hardware alternative but try to stick to KNOWN brands, linksys, netgear, companies like that. I know, ya walk into walmart looking for a quik fix and there it is. You can't resist the price. Belkin, cheap, easy, USB. NOT!! They SUCK!! Any operating system you ever use will become incapable of error you if you get rid of it.

Just my 2 cents

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Lightbulb Re: Can't Connect with my Belkin F5D7000 v6000

I have a belkin f5d7000 v7000 or some such thing I can´t remember at the moment. On the ndiswrapper website pages I read that the driver that came with the card would not work and it gave a suggestion which I then tried, long story short it worked but momentarily froze the computer every 5 seconds or so, which obviously is not an applicable solution. Though the ndiswrapper site said that my drivers would not work I tried them anyways. They do work, I still could not connect with network manager, which imo is a crap. Now this was back when I was running regular ubuntu, not xbuntu and it worked great displayed ok etc. I switched to xubuntu because ubuntu was so slow, and did exactly what I did with ubuntu. In xubuntu wicd appears to freeze, b ut I noticed that both the orange light signal light and the green connected light were lit, so I just closed wicd and voilá I am indeed connected. So I would ask if you had gone ahead and closed the apparently frozen wicd and pulled up a browser page. I read about this not showing connected error in a search I did on the forums awhile back and it may be a common issue. I also would reccomend that if you have not tried the drivers the card came with that you do, mine do indeed work, if a bit wonky. just as a side note, I have also made it work this way in kubuntu, yes I know OS ADD.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your respective replies xbox and emi! My Belkin isn't a USB adapter, though, its a pci card. And I have already tried replacing my Belkin F5D8000 pre-N card (which had NO support) with the F5D7000 v6000 wireless-G card (which I gathered, from the wiki site, to be out-of-the-box usuable) - of course, if it had been, I wouldn't have this wonderfull "blog".

I am in the middle of my 4th re-install of Xubuntu, wiping everything clean and starting completely over...
    Here we go again...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast