Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't Connect with my Belkin F5D7000 v6000

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Can't Connect with my Belkin F5D7000 v6000

I hope that a fresh new install will help some, I think I have gone through about 5 of them at this point. This is my first foray into linux and I´m trying to learn how to do things by the seat of my pants so needless to say I am alternately breaking things and making them work. I do want to mention that in xubuntu there is no tray icon for wicd. there is apparently a way to get it up there but the only instructions I found to do so, require you use the command line and were for an earlier version, I have no idea how to adapt them for the current version, if I figure it out I will post though. I just wanted to let you know that not having the icon doesn´t mean it isn´t working, it seems to still run in the background even without it displaying. I wish I had some fresh ideas for you to try, but I hope the moral support is at least a help. I will mention that it took me 15 days of trying to do things I didn´t understand to get the wireless working, and I would recommend that you download the graphical interface for ndiswrapper, that was a big help for me, I tried to use it in the command line with very little success. I´m keeping my fingers crossed for you, it´s a challenge but for me at least it was worth it.

Emi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have an F5D7050 USB adapter from Belkin. I have got it working great. Not exactly "out of the box", though.

I discovered when I went through the ndiswrapper routine (and failing to get a connection), that I didn't need to go through that process at all.
    Your mileage may be different, however.

You might read Wieman01's howto. Especially, pay attention to the section
    Setting the Wireless to Connect at Boot
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=684495

I didn't have to blacklist anything to get mine going.
    Last edited by ubume2; July 13th, 2008 at 06:40 PM. Reason: correction

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I said before that if I figured out how to get the tray icon for wicd to appear I would post it, so just in case you do decide to use wicd, I found in their faq the instructions for getting the tray icon to appear without needing to use the command line. It can be found at http://wicd.sourceforge.net/wiki/doku.php?id=faq I have tried this on my laptop and so far it is working, I do have to say it is nice to finally have a visual on the screen that shows my wireless is up and running. Also just to update on my own experience, and I´m not really sure why (maybe an update fixed it?) wicd is no longer hanging up when I connect to my wireless network, it´s now running flawlessly.

Good Luck
    Emi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12