Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Installation - System just keeps rebooting

Beans

Re: New Installation - System just keeps rebooting

Milton1, in terms of my hard drive partitions I simply formated both drives that I have and then created the starndard partitions on both drives

Beans

If the onboard network card functions then i would remove any unnecessary devices and reinstall ubuntu using the alternate cd.

Beans

so after removing the NIC you would recommend a full reinstall? Do you think that any other hardware could be causing this reboot issue? Or is my hardware nothing out of the ordinary that it would not play nice with ubuntu?

Beans

Yes your hardware should work perfectly with ubuntu. The only two things that i can see being a problem is a hardware issue. or an issue with the cd image you downloaded.

I do recommend a full reinstall with a newly downloaded alternate cd. Verify the md5 checksum before you burn the ISO to make sure there are no problems with the image. In fact if you had k3b burning software installed it does verify the checksums for you.

Beans

Actually as suggested by another community member yesterday, I did run the mdChecksum for windows against the ISO image that I had downloaded and the hashes matched what was posted on the ubuntu hashes page. I also checked integrity of the disc from the main ubuntu cd menu and all seemed fine as well. but if you suggest another download and burn then I will give it a try. I have never been one to give up easily and am really looking forward to getting my feet wet in the linux world. What do you make of the slow system performance after I installed yesterday?

Beans

I am very new to Linux myself, but if any system, regardless of OS, were doing this to me, temperature would be the first thing I would look to.

Particularly if the system crashes at slightly different points... If it were a software bug I would think it would more likely crash at a consistent point. Something could be overheating, fans could be getting blocked, who knows.

Alternatively your harddrive may have issues that your tests can't reveal.

Beans

This is a very unusual case. From the hardware you listed there should be no problems whatsoever. Unless some of the hardware is defective.

If you already verified the checksums then the cd is fine. are you installing the i386 version or the amd64 version?
    Last edited by BDNiner; June 12th, 2008 at 07:13 PM.

Beans

I installed the AMD64 bit version. But I guess I could try the i386 version as well.

Beans

What would be the best way to test to see if any one particular piece of hardware is failing?

Beans

Check the temperatures that the devices report in the BIOS. the closer things get to 90 degrees C the greater your chances of hardware failure and permanent damage.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast