Thread: problem with firefox and flash

Beans

problem with firefox and flash

I'm having a problem running flash with firefox. I can watch stuff like youtube videos but when I click on a different video it starts to load and then firefox closes without warning. It's been happening a lot and is getting very annoying. How can I fix this?

Beans

Re: problem with firefox and flash

bump. this is getting annoying.

Beans

The problem I'm having is 8.04 is when i go to youtube it asks to install the plugin. I check the box and install it only to find it ask again once I've reload firefox. I tried to uninstall and install it from the package manager but firefox still does not see it. How did you get it to work at all?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spudicus View Post
    The problem I'm having is 8.04 is when i go to youtube it asks to install the plugin. I check the box and install it only to find it ask again once I've reload firefox. I tried to uninstall and install it from the package manager but firefox still does not see it. How did you get it to work at all?
    Try running the following on a terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

Beans

I get the same problem as the original poster. It's a segfault, but I don't know any more than that. It happened somewhat rarely with Firefox 3 Beta, but now that Firefox 3 has been released, it's happening much more frequently.

Here's my console:

Code:
    (firefox:16148): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(firefox:16148): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

Segmentation fault
    EDIT: Another grab from my console... an interesting note (and possibly a strange fix?) is that when I have two firefox's open, it doesn't seem to crash. So maybe some people can try opening two firefox's (by typing firefox in the console twice), and seeing how that works for them.

Code:
    Segmentation fault
    Last edited by smlefo; June 11th, 2008 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Adding more details to crash

Beans

I refined my fix (that I don't understand why it works).

Start up two instances of firefox. I do it by opening a firefox by clicking the button in GNOME, and starting a second by typing the command firefox in the terminal. In the first firefox, load a YouTube page and hope that it doesn't crash. Now pause the video, and browse with the second firefox. No YouTube pages will crash.

I assume this is because the first firefox is somehow keeping flash in memory, so that it isn't de-allocated, and re-allocated, which causes the crash.

Keep in mind I am just playing around, and this is what I found. Obviously this is not a great fix... but it does get the job done for now.

Let me know if this works for anyone else - it works perfect for me.

~Sean

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Works for me as well. This was getting to be a real pain, but this is a nice cheap fix till the get it sorted out. I'm having this problem on firefox 2 but i'm reading that it's a known issue in 3. Souns like we might be using this workaround for a minute...
    Desktop: PhenomIIX3@2.8Ghz CM HyperN520 ASROCK MS3770DE 2x2Gb Crucial @ 1333/6CL 3540HD PCIE 2x2TB HITACHI Lucid 64
    Latop: Acer 5253-BZ602 E-350 1.6Ghz Dual Core Fusion APU Intel 320 40Gb SSD 2x2GB Gskill 1066/6CL 11.04 64 bit dm-crypt LVM

Beans

I was having the same problem until I downloaded flash10 from the adobe site.

labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by taiwanfires View Post
    I was having the same problem until I downloaded flash10 from the adobe site.

labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html
    Wow.. that's funny. I was having the problem until I removed Flash 10b and reinstalled version 9.

What's up with that?
    Refrigerate after opening.