Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My hard drive has just given up the ghost(or close, doesn't matter either way)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: My hard drive has just given up the ghost(or close, doesn't matter either way)

What does S.M.A.R.T say is wrong with the drive?

To see all information provided by SMART on /dev/sda, run

sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda

To run a selftest on /dev/sda, run

sudo smartctl -t long /dev/sda

To view the results of the test, display all information (see above) or simply run

sudo smartctl -l selftest /dev/sda
    I lost a "z". Anyone seen it around here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: My hard drive has just given up the ghost(or close, doesn't matter either way)

Thanks az, I'll give the SMART self-assessment a try and see what it turns up.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Yep, I can agree with this.

Linux is *very* picky about the HDD it runs on.

Personally, I see this as a good thing (tm). I'd rather have the OS advise me of failures as early as possible, instead of the OS hiding these errors and loose data (happened to me with Windows - twice).

Also, a recent story: My father has an old external USB HDD. It still runs well, but it had some errors in the FAT structure. Linux would mount it as read-only, and complain. This is better than allowing writes like Windows did - you can mess up much if you do so. Then my father scanned it in Windows, and now everything is well again.

While read-only is not the safest either, at least it's safer than read-write.

Cheers,
    Benedikt Bär - www.relamp.tk
    WARNING: Some commands can be harmful when executed, especially the ones starting with "rm". If you are in doubt what a certain command will do, please ask other members first before executing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I can't see that this is a HDD failure, you say you can still read it and it's "read only". Something must have made it read only. If you could find out what caused it you may be able to reverse it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The selftest was finished without errors according to the log here but I get read errors on both Linux and BSD, weird.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by PmDematagoda View Post
    The selftest was finished without errors according to the log here but I get read errors on both Linux and BSD, weird.
    Then, the problem is probably due to a bad connection or a faulty controller on your motherboard.
    I lost a "z". Anyone seen it around here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by az View Post
    Then, the problem is probably due to a bad connection or a faulty controller on your motherboard.
    Is it possible on a SATA(just asking)?

Edit:- Also the first hard drive works properly(from what I've seen), dunno if that would help though. And also one thing, I am rather sure that there are bad sectors on the second drive since I can remember that Windows turned them up about 2 years ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12