Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backup harddrive with dead gfx card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

[SOLVED(kinda)] Backup harddrive with dead gfx card

My laptop stats are in my sig, so i wont bother repeating them here.

Basically my gfx card has broken, cause unknown. I am sending it off for repair asap but I need it back in about 3 weeks. Also I was told over the phone that they will probably re-image the hard drive when repairing it. I cannot lose the data that is on the drive, and currently I have no way of backing things up.

The laptop will boot into Hardy as default but the screen is blank.
    I can't take out the hard drive as that would void the warranty. I need a way of extracting the data. I have a old pc (P3 500mhz) with an 80Gb second harddrive I can use.

I believe it is possible to connect them through a cat 5 ethernet cable but I dont know how with only one properly working machine.

I should add that I dual booted with vista and there is also a central "media" partition of about 100gb. I only need to back up about 50Gb for which I have space, I just need to get the data.

Thanks in advance for all the help!
    Last edited by squee; June 10th, 2008 at 09:11 PM.
    Laptop: Toshiba T130 1.3 GHz U2700 320GbHDD -- Things not working on 12.10: Screen dimming (works only on CLI sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=90). Contact me with solutions please!

Beans
    Distro

Re: Backup harddrive with dead gfx card

Come on guys dont make me BUMP! Id ask on the IRC but Im on my mams laptop and I cant install other stuff.
    Laptop: Toshiba T130 1.3 GHz U2700 320GbHDD -- Things not working on 12.10: Screen dimming (works only on CLI sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=90). Contact me with solutions please!

Beans

This is probably the really obvious question to ask, but... have you tested that it's the graphics card and not the screen? There should be an external monitor socket on your laptop - frankly, hooking up a second display is the only way I can think of to get at your files
    "Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."
    - The Doctor, The Wheel in Space

Beans
    Distro

Iv plugged in an external monitor and I get what can only be called a mess (multicoloured squares). Im not sure if this means that the screen is gone too as I dont get the mess on the laptop screen. Any other ideas?

Beans

Would you try one more thing?
    Connect an external monitor and boot from a Live CD, not your HDD.
    If that doesn't work, then I'm afraid it's "I got nothin'" territory - time to hope someone smarter comes along.

Beans
    Distro

Screen has changed from Flashing coloured boxes to flashing coloured lines, but thats it. The live cd is still installing but it doesnt look good

I have to send it off for repair asap and I need to have stuff backed up before it goes.

Any ideas at all will be taken into consideration and appreciated!

Oh hey, coloured boxes again!

nope now back to hazy 60's phsycodelia. ah well

Beans

Sorry mate, all out of ideas - short of removing the HD, but as you pointed out that invalidates the warranty. What you really need is something like Norton Ghost, or a partition imager, but you need a working screen for that

Beans
    Distro

Thanks anyway. If anyone else who is reading this has any ideas at all, I'll be online for a good while searching for solutions.

Beans
    Distro

Ok the problem is kinda solved. I gave my laptop to a friend who was able to take the HDD out with out making it look like it was tampered with. Highly dodgy but the only way to recover hours of work on papers for college and other stuff (i.e hours of downloading pr0n )

Should have it sent off to England tomorrow some time. Thanks to The Cosmic Hobo for the advice.

Beans

Any time, mate. Sorry I couldn't be more use but I'm glad your friend could help you out.
    I wrote my dissertation this year, and bought an external HD specifically for doing backups of all my data in case that happened to my laptop. And this is why I'm building a desktop... much easier to fix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast