Thread: Installing 8.10 cuts to black screen

Beans

Installing 8.10 cuts to black screen

Im trying to install 8.10 but every time I try load from CD or install it loading screen comes up, finishes but then cuts to black screen and dosent move, no error no nothing just black screen

When I try in safe mode I can run from CD but I dont want to install in safe mode in case it wont run at all unless its in safe mode, im currently running XP on my system and want to get rid of it

im worried my stone age graphics card is too old for Ubuntu but XP works fine so it SHOULD run, its a Radeon 7000 card.

Any help/advice?

Beans

Re: Installing 8.10 cuts to black screen

Hi,
    Are you getting the black screen when you insert the CD in Windows XP? If so, reboot your computer with the CD in the CD Tray and it should load the Ubuntu installer without getting into XP. BTW, your Radeon 7000 card is perfectly compatible with Ubuntu. I found that bit of info on the internet. Let me know what happens and I'll help you out further.

Good Luck!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by icanfly0307 View Post
    Hi,
    Are you getting the black screen when you insert the CD in Windows XP? If so, reboot your computer with the CD in the CD Tray and it should load the Ubuntu installer without getting into XP. BTW, your Radeon 7000 card is perfectly compatible with Ubuntu. I found that bit of info on the internet. Let me know what happens and I'll help you out further.

Good Luck!

I reboot with the CD in the tray, I go to install it and Ubuntu screen comes up, loads then flicks to black screen when its done

I could probably install it in safe mode but I want to be sure it'll work first.

Thanks for lettin me know its not the graphics card.

Beans

Have you freed up your hard drive to accomodate Ubuntu already? If so, try installing Ubuntu directly without trying it first. Most of the black screen problems that I've experienced are due to the installation not detecting my graphics card correctly.

If that still doesn't help, download the alternate CD instead of the desktop CD and try installing from that. It uses a text-based installer so it should work.

Good Luck!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by icanfly0307 View Post
    Have you freed up your hard drive to accomodate Ubuntu already? If so, try installing Ubuntu directly without trying it first. Most of the black screen problems that I've experienced are due to the installation not detecting my graphics card correctly.

If that still doesn't help, download the alternate CD instead of the desktop CD and try installing from that. It uses a text-based installer so it should work.

Good Luck!
    No havnt freed up space just ran it off the CD in safe mode, next im just gonna try install it in safe mode.

if that dosent work I'll try alternate CD

thankies again