Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: netboot installation fails

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: netboot installation fails

Sorry for the double post, thought it might be good to bump this topic.

I just tried the mini.iso that was giving me the error as before but this time, the package was different.

Loading kickseed-common failed for unknown reasons. Aborting
    Do I need to get a replacement mini.iso?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, the exact nature of the error will drift depending on what else lands in -updates. As I said, it wasn't a problem with ntfs-3g as such.

You definitely need to get a replacement mini.iso, and I'm afraid that for now you do have to use -proposed (and apt-setup/proposed=true) or it simply won't work. This will get into -updates in time for the point release in early July, though.

Beans
    Distro

Guess I'll be doing a minimal install from CD and updating then, I don't have the patience to wait until July to install Ubuntu on my portable storage

Thanks for the feedback

Beans

Although we have recieved the following message,
    If we keep going, Installation is completed normally.

(Quote message:
    Loading kickseed-common failed for unknown reasons. Aborting)

We added some options of apt-setup/proposed=true,
    but, the situation did not change.

So is it okay for us to igonore the above message?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That's the same type of error as before. No, you can't ignore it. Please confirm the URL from which you downloaded the installer image; the one in hardy will not work and you have to use hardy-proposed.

Beans

[You definitely need to get a replacement mini.iso, and I'm afraid that for now you do have to use -proposed (and apt-setup/proposed=true) or it simply won't work. This will get into -updates in time for the point release in early July, though.[/QUOTE]

I also get that

"loading kickseed-common failed for unkown reasons. aborting."

What iso must we use then cos i downloaded mine wed 18 june, late afternoon (CAT) - and i get the same errors -what must I do ... what is this apt-setup... I only know how to run the cud -there is no option for a command line console.. So what must i do -has the iso been updated since i downloaded it or what else must I do?

Beans
    Distro

Note: This was entirely from my memory which _isn't very good_ Please skip to the edited section at the bottom.

Did you download the mini.iso from: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...mages/netboot/

You should be presented with a menu during the boot up ( if I recall correctly ) and one of the function keys ( I think it might be F6 ) will bring up a little box in the lower right corner. You have to add
    apt-setup/proposed=true
    to the end.

-=-=- EDIT -=-=-

To do a netboot install, download the http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...tboot/mini.iso and as a boot parameter, type in:

apt-setup/proposed=true
    Attached are screen-shots that show an errorless minimal install from the netboot image.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Xyem; June 19th, 2008 at 05:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You need to use:

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...tboot/mini.iso

The one in /dists/hardy/ will not work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Xyem View Post
    Note: This is entirely from my memory which _isn't very good_ I shall correct/confirm when I get home ( next 20 minutes ).

Did you download the mini.iso from: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...mages/netboot/

You should be presented with a menu during the boot up ( if I recall correctly ) and one of the function keys ( I think it might be F6 ) will bring up a little box in the lower right corner. You have to add

to the end.
    I was trying to do a kubuntu install for my 128MB laptop
    but then I used http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...tboot/mini.iso
    I gues that it the same - When was the bug fixed cos like i said i downloaded it yest aft (CAT)
    Last edited by mcsuperhouse; June 19th, 2008 at 06:28 PM. Reason: mistake

Beans
    Distro

If you follow the instructions on my previous post ( which I have now edited ) and install a minimal system, you can then install the xubuntu-desktop package to get an Xubuntu install.

sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast