Thread: Firewalls, Nautilus SFTP

Beans
    Hidden!

Firewalls, Nautilus SFTP

Hi. 2 questions:

1. Is there any way to get Nautilus to automatically reconnect to an sftp:// url as it gets disconnected instead of redirecting to /home folder? I think it used to do this but doesn't anymore.

2. Are there any firewalls for ubuntu that gives a windows-style popup to allow/deny a program as it tries to access something on the internet? I don't want to hear about Firestarter, i'm aware that linux isn't windows and iptables aren't anywhere near as convenient. I would simply like to know if a program like this exists for linux.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Firewalls, Nautilus SFTP

Hi there,

1. Is there any way to get Nautilus to automatically reconnect to an sftp:// url as it gets disconnected instead of redirecting to /home folder? I think it used to do this but doesn't anymore.
    I have no experience with that using Nautilus, sorry. However I do know that most FTP apps do that, like gFTP which you can download from the repositories.

2. Are there any firewalls for ubuntu that gives a windows-style popup to allow/deny a program as it tries to access something on the internet? I don't want to hear about Firestarter, i'm aware that linux isn't windows and iptables aren't anywhere near as convenient. I would simply like to know if a program like this exists for linux.
    I have heard of several apps that were in development that could do that but no, there aren't any firewall programs that can do that for the simple reason that it's not necessary in Linux. All the apps you can download from the repositories have been tested and are trustworthy and do not call home for example. If you want more control over your firewall and be to close, open and control everything you could try Guarddog.

Hope that helps.

Beans
    Hidden!

bump. Anyone have an answer for #1?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

thanks for answer 2, I will give Guarddog a try.
    [*]Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.0Ghz[*]1024MB nVidia Gefore 8600M GS[*]Acer Aspire 5920G - Powered By Ubuntu