Thread: Managing a Budget on LINUCKS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Managing a Budget on LINUCKS

I got my bank statement today and discovered that I've been spending a lot more money than I thought, or should be spending. When I complained to my friends about it, one of 'em mentioned using some Windows software to keep a budget.

Is there any good software to keep track of a budget for Linux? It looks like there are a couple of programs in the repos, but I wanna know if anyone's had any first-hand experience with any software.
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Managing a Budget on LINUCKS

HomeBank and GNUCash spring to mind. HomeBank seems to be rather untravelled ground, although it's a very clean and tidy little program. GNUCash is highly regarded and tends to be peoples' recommendation here. It's very powerful, although not as pretty or as easy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

For my personal finances, I prefer Moneydance, which is not free or in the repos, but is a great, simple, cross-platform money manager. I think I have been using Moneydance for over a year now, and I am very happy with it.

HomeBank looks pretty nice, though.

For my professional finances, I use GnuCash, which I love, but it is more complicated than you probably want for personal money tracking.
    Last edited by 50words; June 10th, 2008 at 03:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

No first hand experience with any, but people usually recommend gnucash
    http://www.gnucash.org/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hmmm... I was thinking about beginning a project along those lines for my own personal use..... food for thought.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans

I'm sure the suggestions are all fine, but you can track your personal finances in a spreadsheet just as well... if not better, since you've got the flexibility a spreadsheet offers.

If you're having trouble in the personal finance department, no program is going to help you with the basic principles. They're fine for helping you track stuff, but if you don't know how (or what) to track, or why, or without specific sets of goals, no tracking program can help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Another interesting tool for number crunching, if you feel a bit crazy, is Glom

If you feel less crazy, Gnumeric does it.