Thread: USB Headphones

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb USB Headphones

Hi There! I am a bit new to Linux, so please be patient and bear with me. I have a set of eDemensional USB headphones and was curious if it's possible to use them in ubuntu. Thanks for the help!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: USB Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by bkwraith View Post
    Hi There! I am a bit new to Linux, so please be patient and bear with me. I have a set of eDemensional USB headphones and was curious if it's possible to use them in ubuntu. Thanks for the help!

I take it when you plug them in, they dont work?

When they are plugged in, can you please post the output of
    Code:
    sudo lsusb
    AJ
    Want to find out more about your ubuntu system? see HowTO Ubuntu System
    Want to know a little more about networking? see HOWTO Ubuntu Networking
    Looking for help with something on your ubuntu? see the tutorial of the week sticky

Beans

Heh, USB headphones can be a bit of work sometimes, but rest assured, they will mostly likely work.

I had to compile my sound drivers (I always have to do that, actually) with support for both my audio card and the headphones. The ./configure line looked like this:
    Code:
    ./configure --with-sequencer=yes --with-cards=usb-audio,ca0106 --with-oss=yes
    and then set the headphones to be default with
    Code:
    asoundconf
    Now then, I'm sure that this is all gibberish to you. I'm more posting it incase you need it later on (or someone else searching does).
    Last edited by Xiong Chiamiov; June 14th, 2008 at 05:33 PM. Reason: naughty naughty typo
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ajmorris View Post
    I take it when you plug them in, they dont work?

When they are plugged in, can you please post the output of
    Code:
    sudo lsusb
    AJ
    it displays this.
    Code:
    Bus 005 Device 012: ID 056a:0017 Wacom Co., Ltd 
    Bus 005 Device 011: ID 046d:08d7 Logitech, Inc. 
    Bus 005 Device 010: ID 0424:2504 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
    Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
    Bus 003 Device 003: ID 1532:0109  
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 1532:000c  
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0d8c:000c C-Media Electronics, Inc. Audio Adapter
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    The Logitech is a webcam, the C-Media are the headphones.

Thanks for the fast response

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What would the command be through the terminal be to access the /config file? I also need to get my Creative X-fi to play nicely with the rest of the system

Beans

I'm not quite sure how things go when they work like they're supposed to (I haven't had that happen yet), but I had to compile ALSA. In general, compiling takes the form
    Code:
    ./configure
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    inside a source folder.

I'd start out by trying the things in this guide. If that fails, I can give you the directions I followed to get things working for me.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans

I am having the same usb audio issues and I tried the guide earlier. I have not experienced any success. I tried to set my usb audio to the primary but it always reverts back to secondary. I saved the usb to be 0 and the hda to be 1.

1 snd_hda_intel
    2 snd_usb_audio

Is it not possible to have the usb device be your primary speakers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I used this guide and got the creative card to work, still no usb headphones. When I plug them in, the headphones will play the ubuntu login theme, even if the computer is playing music through amarok.

Beans

If amarok is started before your headphones are plugged in, then it will continue to play music through your speakers; you'll have to restart it. The same should apply to any other apps - they'll use the default soundcard if it's available, and if not, fall back to whatever they can.

@PAFin:
    How did you change which one was default? For me, I run
    Code:
    asoundconf list
    to get a list of my soundcards names (with the headphones plugged in), then
    Code:
    asoundconf set-default-card [name]
    to set the card I want as default.

You may have to play around with some of the other options, which you can see by entering
    Code:
    asoundconf
    Hmm, noticed that I put a space in there in my first post. Have to go back and fix that.