Thread: Recommended Motherboard w/onboard graphics for Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Recommended Motherboard w/onboard graphics for Ubuntu?

I'm looking into purchasing a new motherboard because it seems that mine is the root of many problems (I can't find any other cause for the issues). Part of my struggle has been the fact that I decided in my infinite wisdom to buy a widescreen monitor, meaning I needed a separate video card as the motherboard's card doesn't support 1680x1050 resolution. So, I (again, in my infinite wisdom) bought an ATI card, which still has some obvious compatibility issues.

Anyway, the point is, I want to put in a new motherboard that can handle an AMD64 processor, and I would LOVE to have one with integrated graphics (DVI or VGA output, doesn't matter) that will handle my needed resolution. I was searching on newegg and found like 7 pages of AMD motherboards, so I'm a bit lost. Does anyone have suggestions based on their experiences? Mainly I just want a quality onboard graphics card, but plenty of USB ports would be nice. I also need at least one PCI bus, and firewire connectivity would be lovely (but not necessary) also.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Dan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Recommended Motherboard w/onboard graphics for Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by dbsoundman View Post
    I'm looking into purchasing a new motherboard because it seems that mine is the root of many problems (I can't find any other cause for the issues). Part of my struggle has been the fact that I decided in my infinite wisdom to buy a widescreen monitor, meaning I needed a separate video card as the motherboard's card doesn't support 1680x1050 resolution. So, I (again, in my infinite wisdom) bought an ATI card, which still has some obvious compatibility issues.

Anyway, the point is, I want to put in a new motherboard that can handle an AMD64 processor, and I would LOVE to have one with integrated graphics (DVI or VGA output, doesn't matter) that will handle my needed resolution. I was searching on newegg and found like 7 pages of AMD motherboards, so I'm a bit lost. Does anyone have suggestions based on their experiences? Mainly I just want a quality onboard graphics card, but plenty of USB ports would be nice. I also need at least one PCI bus, and firewire connectivity would be lovely (but not necessary) also.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Dan
    There are many mobos with integrated Nvidia 6xxx graphics that should work just fine.
    Windows, only good for gaming.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Recommended Motherboard w/onboard graphics for Ubuntu?

Thanks. Should I specifically look for the 6xxx series nVidia, or are the others, such as GeForce all right?

-Dan