Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannot Boot or Mount Ubuntu after Fedora Install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Cannot Boot or Mount Ubuntu after Fedora Install

I had a hard drive partitioned to 50 GB Ubuntu, and 20 Free. I then installed Fedora on my 20 GB partition. During installation, I set Ubuntu as my main boot, and told it to go to /dev/sda3, which is where it was. Now, I can only boot from fedora. I also cannot access the ubuntu partition from inside fedora, although it can see that it is 50 GB. I need files off of this 50 GB partition. Please help!!!!!! Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Cannot Boot or Mount Ubuntu after Fedora Install

sorry for the quick bump, but I need help.

Beans
    Hidden!

Boot into Fedora. do
    Code:
    su -
    mkdir /media/Ubuntu
    mount /dev/sda3 /media/Ubuntu
    cd /media/Ubuntu
    Read the files here. To be able to boot Ubuntu,
    Code:
    cd /media/Ubuntu/boot/grub
    su -
    gedit menu.lst
    Take the first entry, copy paste it in /boot/grub/grub.conf. Attach the files /media/Ubuntu/boot/grub/menu.lst and /boot/grub/grub.conf here if you have trouble.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the reply. I am back and running on Ubuntu again. For some reason, Fedora totally took over my grub, and wouldn't recognize Ubuntu. I couldn't even mount ubuntu partition in Fedora. So i installed another copy of ubuntu onto the first partition, then Grub returned to normal, and I fixed my problems that way. But thank you so much for the reply.

Beans

I have the same problem as JustinAlf. I have Window XP on sda1, Ununtu 8.10 on sda2(/) and sda3(swap). Then I install Fedora 10 on sda4(extended), sda5(/). I cannot boot ubuntu. I try the code shown by bingoUV as follow

Boot into Fedora. do

Code:
    su -
    mkdir /media/Ubuntu
    mount /dev/sda3 /media/Ubuntu
    cd /media/UbuntuRead the files here. To be able to boot Ubuntu,

Code:
    cd /media/Ubuntu/boot/grub
    su -
    gedit menu.lst

However, it doesn't work. I didnt try the following staps cause I don't understand it.

"Take the first entry, copy paste it in /boot/grub/grub.conf. Attach the files /media/Ubuntu/boot/grub/menu.lst and /boot/grub/grub.conf here if you have trouble."

I need help. I am new to linux. Thank you!!!
    Last edited by blue_sun; December 18th, 2008 at 03:37 AM.

Beans

Blue_sun, if you can open your Fedora's grub.conf file, then you can add an entry in it to load your Ubuntu's menu.lst. How about trying the following in Fedora:
    Code:
    su -
    gedit /boot/grub/grub.conf
    And then add at the bottom:
    Code:
    title Ubuntu Grub Menu
    configfile (hd0,1)/boot/grub/menu.lst
    Reboot, and then when you select "Ubuntu Grub Menu" from the Fedora Grub menu, you should get your Ubuntu Grub menu. How about giving that shot and let me know how it goes.

Beans

Hi caljohnsmith, I tried the code you provided. I can access Ubuntu Grub menu but when I boot ubuntu, it didn't work. Here is error message (Error 15:file not found) and when I boot ubuntu from fedora menu, it says "Error 13: Invalid or executable(unsupported format). What should I do next?
    Last edited by blue_sun; December 18th, 2008 at 07:27 AM.

Beans

In order to get a clearer picture of your setup, how about doing the following while you are in Fedora:
    Code:
    su - 
    wget 'http://home.comcast.net/~ubuntu_grub/boot_info_script.txt' && bash boot_info_script.txt
    That will create a "boot_info_results.txt" file; please copy/paste the contents of that file to your next post. That will help clarify your setup and what your problem might be
    Last edited by caljohnsmith; December 20th, 2008 at 12:48 AM.

Beans

Hi caljohnsmith,this code (wget 'http://home.comcast.net/~ubuntu_grub/boot_info.txt' && sh ./boot_info.txt) doesn't work. The terminal returned "bash: wget: command not found"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blue_sun View Post
    Hi caljohnsmith,this code (wget 'http://home.comcast.net/~ubuntu_grub/boot_info.txt' && sh ./boot_info.txt) doesn't work. The terminal returned "bash: wget: command not found"
    OK, I didn't realize Fedora didn't have wget installed by default. How about instead right click on this link to the boot_info_script.txt, choose "save target as", save the script to your desktop, and run it with:
    Code:
    su -
    cd /home/<username>/Desktop
    sh boot_info_script.txt
    And replace <username> with your username. See if you can get that to work, or let me know if you have problems again.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast