Thread: How to reinstall ubuntu on encrypted lvm partition without overwriting home partition

Beans

How to reinstall ubuntu on encrypted lvm partition without overwriting home partition

Hi to all!
    I tried to search before posting, but I couldn't find any solution; here is my problem.
    I have a Kubuntu installation (the flavuor isn't important) with full-drive encryption.
    So I have 2 physicalpartition on the hd: a small "/boot" one (unencrypted) and a big one fully encrypted, which contains a LVM partition (Logical Volume Manager).
    The LVM contains 5 logical partition: root, home, var, tmp and swap.
    The is the following: due to complex problem i need to do a fresh (K)Ubuntu install, using the same "structure" and without overrwriting the home partition.
    So i want to know how I could do.
    Till now I tried to install from alternate cd, but when I manually set up the partitions, it asks me to overwrite the old encrypted and I couldn't find an option to simply open the old one. (I selected formatting: No)
    Any help would be appreciated and any question about details is welcome.
    Thanks in advance,
    Rob
    Last edited by robpower; June 10th, 2008 at 06:15 PM.

Beans

Re: How to reinstall ubuntu on encrypted lvm partition without overwriting home parti

Any help?
    In the meanwhile I tried to use the "repair an existing system" option, from alternate CD boot options; though it regnognizes the crypted device (/dev/sda5) and mounts it under /dev/mapper/sda5_crypt (i think), it seems that couldn't handle the LVM volume: logical disks don't appear in the "root partition selection for recovery".
    Thanks again to anyone who could help.

Beans

Re: How to reinstall ubuntu on encrypted lvm partition without overwriting home parti

I see that there hasn't been a reply to his question. I reinstall Ubuntu twice a year (or more) when new releases come out. I do this to keep up with any changes since I recommend and install Ubuntu on other peoples machines. I have a separate /home partition that I don't format when I install on top of the previous release. For the Jaunty release (9.04) I want to use LVM with Full Disk Encryption on my laptop. I've done a full backup of my /home directory for this time but in the future I would like to just remount my old /home directory when installing 9.10 and beyond.

So the question is still out there; is it possible to reinstall Ubuntu on top of itself using LVM with encryption and preserve the /home directory???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I also am interested in this option, is it possible??

Or would it be like "backup to external HD -> install and re-encrypt -> put backup back in place"?

Beans

I had a similar problem a while back but have only just posted the solution. It is not exactly the same as your problem but I hope it helps. Here is my original thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1009031

Beans

hi,

i guess mikereed's link got everybody into the right direction, but there's some vital part missing: finding the encrypted volume

here's what i did:

start live cd

install LVM & Cryptsetup
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lvm2 cryptsetup
    load kernel modules
    Code:
    sudo modprobe dm-mod
    sudo modprobe dm-crypt
    unencrypt your encrypted partition (sda5 in my case) & enter your passphrase
    Code:
    sduo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda5 sda5crypt
    find the VG
    Code:
    sudo vgscan
    check if all your LVs are presented
    Code:
    sudo lvs
    and there you go. now just run the live-installer's "install" function and get going.

pretty easy... i don't get why they don't include the lvm & cryptsetup into the standard installation, or even the alternate one

edit:
    WARNING: don't use the the 9.04 (jaunty) installer as live cd. it's most likely to show sth. like:

Code:
    sudo modprobe dm-mod dm-crypt
    FATAL: Module dm_mod not found.
    I am performing the installation with the 8.10 cd and upgrading to 9.04 online... hope that works
    Last edited by hastala; June 12th, 2009 at 06:26 PM. Reason: edit for 9.04 warning

Beans

Did this work out? I need to do the same to go from a 64-bit Lucid to a 32-bit Lucid while hopefully keeping my /home partition intact.

Beans

Worked out for me on 10.04. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've found this wonderful Howto:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1205372

Beans

This didn't work for me. I did everything hastala told us to do and started the install procedure. It failled in just substituting the previous system. It wanted to format the whole partition. Since I have /home and / in the same encrypted lvm partition, it wouldn't wwork for me.
    The solution described in one of the two links above, using the alternate install, also failed. The system was installed but, since my user directory was encrypted in /home/username/.Private using encryptfs, it failed to mount, and I didn't find a workaround yet, since no username nor any passwork seems to work, even typing the exact terms I entered during install. So I can only access a Guest account, which dosn't allow me to access any Terminal nor sudo neither any graphical interface that requires root.