Starting Nmap 4.53 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2008-06-09 14:39 CDT
    Interesting ports on localhost (127.0.0.1):
    Not shown: 1711 closed ports
    PORT    STATE SERVICE
    22/tcp  open  ssh
    25/tcp  open  smtp
    631/tcp open  ipp

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.142 seconds
    The only port that I've opened is the SSH port. I have no idea why ports 25 and 631 are open. I'm sharing a printer on my Windows XP desktop (this is my laptop). Is that why 631's open?

lsof -i revealed that port 631 is being used by cupsd, and that port 25 is being used by exim4..

So, here's the question: what do "cupsd" and "exim4" do, do I need them, and if not, how do I turn them off?

Thanks a MILLION BILLION in advance,

SH

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Open SMTP Port, Can't close

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/exim4 stop
    will stop your running exim. You cannot install it, as exim is afaik an essential part of the system. what you can do tho is bind it to the internal network card only. A
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config
    should take you through a menu driven setup of exim where you can choose what devices to listen on... i think

As for cups - the 631 is the webpage for manageing printers. This, also, should only be bound to 127.0.0.1. You can change that via /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.
    just bind the interface to 127.0.0.1:631 and nobody can access it anymore.

hope it helps
    Calvin: I'm being educated against my will! My rights are being trampled!
    Hobbes: Is it a right to remain ignorant?
    Calvin: I don't know, but I refuse to find out!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ShinHadoken View Post
    So, here's the question: what do "cupsd" and "exim4" do, do I need them, and if not, how do I turn them off?

Thanks a MILLION BILLION in advance,
    I do not think exim4 is not part of a default Ubuntu install so if it is on your system you must have thought you needed it so you installed it. How it is configured depends on what you did in answer to the debconf questions. Just because the port is open (exim4 is listening) does not mean it will necessarily accept mail from anywhere.

Should you have no use for it - remove it from the machine. Otherwise reconfigure it as advised by SpaceTeddy.

Cups comes with a default install. It is set up to only print to a printer attached to the computer. It listens but will not respond to requests from the network. That can be changed, of course.
    Brian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've installed OSSEC-HIDS and it's configured to email me upon alerts. Is that why exim is running?

Beans

I've installed OSSEC-HIDS and it's configured to email me upon alerts. Is that why exim is running?
    Possibly. If so, I'd expect it to be set up for local mail delivery only, but if you want to make sure use dpkg-reconfigure to set it that way. Port 25 will show as open but that's no problem.
    Brian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ok, cool thanks. I'll ty that. I guess it's not that important because I'm behind a router anyway, but it is a laptop.

SH

Beans

ok, cool thanks. I'll ty that. I guess it's not that important because I'm behind a router anyway, but it is a laptop.

SH
    Even if it is a laptop moving between networks it makes no difference. Either exim4 relays mail or it doesn't. Yours will be set up not to.
    Brian.