Thread: Recording audio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Recording audio

I have searched the forums but not found an answer...

I am trying to record (copy) music from my old LPs (vinyl) to HD but not having any success. I can play the audio from my record deck via the Line Input, through my PC speakers but neither Audacity nor Sound Recorder will record anything. Audacity plays back audio files OK but the recording only sees a faint background noise.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?
    Desktops: AMD64X2 3GB RAM 500GB SATA2 GeForce9400GT - P4 HT 3.2Ghz 1GB RAM 250GB IDE + 2x160GB SATA ATI Radeon X740XL - Laptop AMD AthlonXP 1.6 512MB RAM 120GB HD ATI M200

Gina's Ubuntu HowTo's for beginners (and reference)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Recording audio

If you own these LPs, I cant see no reason why you cant download
    it from the internet, I do (saves time).
    You can record it through mic jack with Sound Recorder.
    Lenovo Ideapad Flex 15

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you have tape monitor jacks on your stereo use a Y-cable, ususally 2 rca to 1 mini headphone connector and then try the line input on your sound card. I picked up an old Harmon Kardon receiver at the local Salvation Army for $20.00 as none of the other receivers I own have turntable inputs. I replaced a few burnt out light bulbs and it's still in use out in my shop.

I used a program called gramofile that is available in the repositories. It encodes the files as .wav, and if you set it up properly it will create a separate wav for each track. The web page is here:

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/gramofile/

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

are using just a normal record deck or a usb deck made for converting vinyl to digital?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

What are your devices set to in System/Prefences/Sound?
    And is capture on in your mixer?

Beans
    Distro

Thank you everyone for your replies
    Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    If you have tape monitor jacks on your stereo use a Y-cable, ususally 2 rca to 1 mini headphone connector and then try the line input on your sound card. I picked up an old Harmon Kardon receiver at the local Salvation Army for $20.00 as none of the other receivers I own have turntable inputs. I replaced a few burnt out light bulbs and it's still in use out in my shop.

I used a program called gramofile that is available in the repositories. It encodes the files as .wav, and if you set it up properly it will create a separate wav for each track. The web page is here:

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/gramofile/

Jim
    Thanks Jim - I'll try gramofile

My record deck has a preamp with line level output (I used to connect it to a power amplifier to feed the speakers). This works fine with the Line In port on the mobo. I can play through the sound card to the speakers (Line Out). Capture is turned on and devices set to the sound system. Capture input is set to Line In.

It works with Audacity in Windows but I prefer not to use that OS. (OK - so it's one option )

Yes, I do own the records - many of them are very old and rare (though in good condition) and I cannot find copies either in CD form in the shops or online. I have replaced much of my collection with CDs but some favourites remain without modern equivalents.
    Desktops: AMD64X2 3GB RAM 500GB SATA2 GeForce9400GT - P4 HT 3.2Ghz 1GB RAM 250GB IDE + 2x160GB SATA ATI Radeon X740XL - Laptop AMD AthlonXP 1.6 512MB RAM 120GB HD ATI M200

Beans
    Distro

Hmm... gramofile won't compile (make) on this system (64 bit AMD Athlon) - I'll try it on a 32 bit system - I see it's dated 2000 (rather old).

I've done some more experimenting - looking at PulseAudio. I think this is the problem - it only uses the front audio connections it would seem from it's settings. However, something (ALSA?) is working with the rear connections because I can play records through the Line In socket and have my speakers connected to Line Out. Now I just need Audacity to use the rear Line In for capture - there must be a setting somewhere.

Beans
    Distro

Won't compile in Hardy 32 bit either Same errors.