Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How-To: UFW

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How-To: UFW

Thank you for such a great post with UFW firewall.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I tend to close all incoming and only allow specific outgoing. It seems UFW does this with

Code:
    sudo ufw default deny
    sudo ufw enable
    although all ports OUTGOING seem to be 'open', as I haven't had to define any rules via GUFW.

Oygle

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How-To: UFW - Ucomplicated Firewall

Thanks, this will be very useful.
    Another round of Ubuntu for my friends here!
    Fighting to bring Pink back to The Pink Ponies archive.
    DELETE INSANITY!

Beans

I know this was posted well over a year ago, but i still wanted to say thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I use NFS to mount a remote share on my laptop. If I don't add any allow rules will it still work? I want to setup UFW on my laptop.
    Last edited by Jordanwb; October 30th, 2009 at 02:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

yup ... just easily install gufw in synaptic

Beans

Re: How-To: UFW - before.rules vs after.rules

Please help me understand this. The UFW official page states this:

#/etc/ufw/before[6].rules: rules in these files are evaluated before any rules added via the ufw command
    #/etc/ufw/after[6].rules: rules in these files are evaluated after any rules added via the ufw command

Does this mean rules set in before.rules are over-written by rules set by the ufw command line?

For example I have http access open to everyone by running ufw command line:
    ufw allow 80/tcp

Then I want to block access to the Web server to certain IP range so I added the following rule in the before.rules
    -A ufw-before-input -m iprange --src-range xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx-xxx.xxx.xxx.255 -j DROP

Is this futile, i.e. this last rule get canceled by the ufw command line to allow http access to everyone?

Should I add this last rule in the after.rules to make sure the rule is active, i.e. blocks the IP range?

Thank you for your time,
    --D

After some more reading it seams that packets are dropped as soon as a matching rule is encountered so rules placed in before.rules take precedence. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by dacoman; November 12th, 2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Figure it out

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy Re: How-To: UFW

Quote Originally Posted by Bakon Jarser View Post
    Every time I restart my computer I have to restart ufw. Is there a way to make it enabled at startup?
    Every time I restart my computer I have to disable ufw and restart Samba in order to get it to join the Windows network. It didn't originally act this way, until one day I typed "ufw enable" in a terminal window. Now it seems to be permanently fouled up and there's no obvious way to reset it to the way it was after the clean install. It would be OK if I could just set up a script that automatically runs as root during boot to perform this ufw disable/Samba restart task, but I haven't been able to find information on it in over six months of searching. Is there any way we can just get rid of the blasted firewall on Ubuntu entirely? My Netgear router has a far better firewall in it anyway that protects my entire LAN from the outside world.

Beans

Thank you this has been a great help to me, than you everyone.

Beans

Is there a default state for ports? When I enable ufw, are all ports in deny or allow mode or do I need to state one or the other? I mean, if I do not state anything about port X, what is the default state?

Thanks!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast