Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another Comp. Store Supports Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Another Comp. Store Supports Ubuntu

use one PC and call it the No cool effects demo PC then the next one will have awesome effects.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by gameryoshi600 View Post
    use one PC and call it the No cool effects demo PC then the next one will have awesome effects.
    +1

you need to showcase some bling bling on another PC

show the potential.

people usually just think that linux is a "cheap" and severely outdated or underpowered against other OSs.

the future is linux, show em why.
    Last edited by madjr; June 10th, 2008 at 06:05 AM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
    "for chat software install emesene and galaxium messenger. " I disagree, I found emesene to crash often (like when I'm not connected to the net, or just made an account). Pidgin is a much better first choice
    umm, never had that problem and i use it daily

but if you ever read this article you'll know why>
    http://contentconsumer.com/2008/04/2...my-girlfriend/
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Hidden!

great idea.
    I was wondering about one thing selling these with ubuntu installed.
    Can you install all the extra non free codecs, etc... or just leave it up to the users to install these? Even Canonical wont automatically give you these unless they are properly licensed, which they have done with this product.
    http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/0...netbook-remix/
    from the article

Ubuntu Netbook Remix will be available only to OEMs because Canonical has licensed proprietary media codecs and other software including Adobe Flash. I hope that there will be a freely available version to install on netbooks that don’t come with it preinstalled. The press release says that the first devices with the Remix will be out “later in 2008″.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No, I'm not going to apply an experiment done to 1 person to everybody else.

Pidgin out of 500k ubuntu users that enabled statistics is used reguarly by 55,192 people, while emesene just by 3,224. Something tells me everybody isn't jumping over on the MSN train.

Beans
    Hidden!

I run aMSN since I chat with windows users.

http://www.amsn-project.net/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    +1

you need to showcase some bling bling on another PC

show the potential.

people usually just think that linux is a "cheap" rip off other OSs
    I cannot do that. It's not my shop and he wants one PC for Vista, and one for Ubuntu.

-AR
    Actors make their living playing pretend, so why do we listen to them about how we should live in the real world?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ARhere View Post
    I cannot do that. It's not my shop and he wants one PC for Vista, and one for Ubuntu.

-AR
    Use 2 for Ubuntu (one for default stuff and the other for the "bling") and 2 for vista (Both should just use aero). 2 is always better than one!

Beans

I think you should lean up at Ubuntu, the only bling you should add is the desktop effects found under Appearance. If you show a box with "hey look how cool you can get your desktop to look by installing awn and other programs through a command prompt or by downloading .debs", you will have lost potentially new Ubuntu users right from the start. Instead meet them with, you can make your desktop look neat by going to System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Visual Effect.

Give the image of Ubuntu being a finished product, perfect capable of doing the normal daily stuff like surfing the web, mails, word processing etc., which it indeed is.

Edit: stick with the programs that follow with Ubuntu, except programs like Wine, these new potentially users shouldn't get confused until they get curious about what their system is capable of and realize that they have the freedom to find out.
    Last edited by Swarms; June 9th, 2008 at 11:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Swarms View Post
    I think you should lean up at Ubuntu, the only bling you should add is the desktop effects found under Appearance. If you show a box with "hey look how cool you can get your desktop to look by installing awn and other programs through a command prompt or by downloading .debs", you will have lost potentially new Ubuntu users right from the start. Instead meet them with, you can make your desktop look neat by going to System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Visual Effect.

Give the image of Ubuntu being a finished product, perfect capable of doing the normal daily stuff like surfing the web, mails, word processing etc., which it indeed is.

Edit: stick with the programs that follow with Ubuntu, except programs like Wine, these new potentially users shouldn't get confused until they get curious about what their system is capable of and realize that they have the freedom to find out.
    I support this

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast