Thread: Is there a 'Free transform' for Gimp?

Beans

Is there a 'Free transform' for Gimp?

I know I can scale the image but I would like to do it on the actual canvas so I can size up the image a little easier to fit the background.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Is there a 'Free transform' for Gimp?

I'm not sure what you mean. I think you need to use the scale tool (next to the rotate tool in the main toolbox). It allows you to drag and drop on a corner of a selection to resize it.

Beans

Thats exactly what I need! Didnt know that existed. Thank you!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Flimm View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. I think you need to use the scale tool (next to the rotate tool in the main toolbox). It allows you to drag and drop on a corner of a selection to resize it.
    I dont know how i didnt see that too, Thanks!

Beans

I just wondered if there was a free transrform in Gimp and I got directed to this foroum so I joined it -- I just wondered becaue I am trying to prepare photos to order mirror image gallery wrap photos.....I have done it once with Photoshop but that was seeral computers ago and I don't own photoshop now....any ideas Sincerely, plaidwoman

Beans

Have you seen this video it may be what you want ..... VIDEO LINK
    due in the next release though ....
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; March 19th, 2011 at 04:34 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by plaidwoman View Post
    I just wondered if there was a free transrform in Gimp
    The free transform tool is in plans, but I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. Grid transformation is currently lower priority than e.g. high bit depth. OTOH there will be Cage transform tool in the very next release.
    Libre Graphics World — news and articles on free design and photography software

Beans

If the problem is similar to what I show in this LINK

Then it is just a case of using the selection tool .... to choose your object

Then use edit copy to make sure the selection is available for use

Then the scale tool ..... which allows you to drag the corners of the selection to resize it

If its more complicated than this or just a different type of selection - then post a link to your photo or design and I will try to help you out ......

or post it in FIX MY PHOTO on this LINK

as well as doing the photo fixing we can also do tutorials here too .....

Stephen works with Photoshop and I work with GIMP

( We try to discover what the programs can achieve and also if there are any major problems
    ... that cannot be overcome with doing things differently in these two Great Programs ..... )

The CAGE TRANSFORM works great in the latest development release .... of GIMP ..... 2.7.2

To the Developers keep up the good work ...... for the next release ..... ty

( Once we have PSPI - GMIC and MathLab working ..... and save as JPG's then the fun can begin ........ )
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; March 26th, 2011 at 11:48 PM.

Beans

the free transform tool is the most powerful tool in pshop for resizing and reshaping for composite creation. it allows you to give something perspective, like turning a photo into a billboard on a wall in another photo. or putting a cutout of a baseball bat into someone's hands and having it look realistic. the most useful thing ever.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.