View Poll Results: The majority of those who use some Linux distribution also use Windows

Voters
289. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agreed

131 45.33%
  • Disagreed

92 31.83%
  • Not sure

66 22.84%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Do you think the majority of Linux users also use Windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Do you think the majority of Linux users also use Windows?

I have 2 Laptops, one is an old Toshiba Satellite the other one is a new HP. Unfortunately i'm stuck with Vista on my new one due to driver issues and the guarantee thingy. 1 month ago i borrowed my old Toshiba (with Ubuntu )to a collegue of mine and one of his friends installed XP on him without asking me. It took 2 weeks and my good old Toshiba was dead...well almost dead..eaten up by a virus who killed the hard drive. I took him back, almost crying, but i didn't give up and had a PC-guy who usualy works with messed up Windows PC's repair him and give my old Laptop a new HD (160 GB woooow), he reset the PC and installed Ubuntu 8.04, because i wanted it that way. He said that he didn't have any experience with Linux, but he will do as i wish. The day after i got my good old, lovely laptop back. The Pc guy was surprised how easy it was and how fast, silent and effective the old laptop worked with Linux. He concluded that he will give Ubuntu a try on one of his PC's as well, which made me smile....BIG TIMES!! One more Ubuntu user??
    1st: ASUS Eee 1215B, Ubuntu 12.10 Gnome 2nd: Asus Eee 1001PX, Ubuntu 13.04 Gnome 3rd: Nexus 7, Android

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I voted not sure, although in my case I run win2k, winxp pro, and Ubuntu + wine.

Problem for me is that there are quite a few games that do NOT have either good enough wine OR cedega support, although I rarely bother with cedega any longer as it seems to me that by and large that wine has surpassed cedega quite some time excepting the few cases where cedega specifically writes hacks to allow certain (officially "supported") games to run, and even then in many cases plain old wine will do just as well or better.

Also worth considering in my case, many newer games will not receive cedega or wine support until a while after they've been released -> requires windows to play. By the time that wine/cedega support rolls around I'm generally unwilling or unable to run them under linux(thanks proprietary installers digital restrictions management plus useless use of the registry).

OTOH some games like the MMORPG Minions of Mirth, I could simply drag and drop the install folder where I wanted, transfer settings and SP mode "saves" between my linux and windows installs, but games like this are few and far between. (MoM actually runs better under linux plus wine as TGE seems to have a bug where if it crashes the gamma setting is not recovered properly. Under linux I can run the nVidia settings panel, which will reset the card, while under windows I have discovered no way to do this short of a reboot(thanks M$)...)

Beans

Angry Re: Do you think the majority of Linux users also use Windows?

The Majority of Linux users are usually forced to use windows...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut_KDC View Post
    The Majority of Linux users are usually forced to use windows...
    'forced' ... In what way
    encoderX.
    Ubuntu Newspaper (Updated Hourly)
    ➮ Reg'd Ubuntu User: #7514 - Reg'd Linux User 425949

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Fedz View Post
    'forced' ... In what way
    To keep their job or pass their class.

Beans

Talking Re: Do you think the majority of Linux users also use Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by Fedz View Post
    'forced' ... In what way
    You know I can't think of one funny thing to say...

I had(at my prevoius job) to manage windows servers. which I could have easily done with windows on virtualbox.
    But the IT Manger didn't like the idea and stopped my plan to convert my work PC to Ubuntu.

And the biggest reason I can't get my friends to use linux, is becuase they want to play there games and it is to hard to install games on linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    To keep their job or pass their class.
    Right I understand

Yeah! we use Window$ at work (NHS) but, luckily my position doesn't require me to use them except on extremely rare occasions

I'm sure this will change as time goes on in the distant future thanks to Vista ... I've not seen Vista used yet anywhere in both our hospitals (Psychiatric and medical).
    encoderX.
    Ubuntu Newspaper (Updated Hourly)
    ➮ Reg'd Ubuntu User: #7514 - Reg'd Linux User 425949

Beans
    Hidden!

According to poll results, seems like the majority agrees with me.
    "Being different is not a crime, and people who tell you it is are just jealous that you've picked up a skill they never in their wildest dreams could acquire.

You can code. They cannot. That is pretty damn cool." --Zed A. Shaw

Beans

Re: The majority of Linux users also use Windows?

I use only Linux at home but XP at work

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BrokeBody View Post
    According to poll results, seems like the majority agrees with me.
    Why don't you create a poll asking how many people use Windows instead of asking people if they think the majority use Windows or not?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast