Thread: Vista might actually be good for something.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Vista might actually be good for something.

Hi All

I thought I'd just share that I found a use for Vista. My hard drive crashed hard last week and was spitting out I/O Buffer errors. I friend suggested freezing it (apparently this often works). I did this a tried it on Linux boxes and XP boxes with no luck. I was sitting around yesterday and out of curiosity plugged it (via usb adapter) into my room mates Vista box. Vista pulled up the FAT32 "user_data" partition without a problem and allowed me to pull most of my important data off. I was unable to pull most of my 30G of music but that I can live without now that I have all my business docs.

Hope that helps someone else out there.
    SL
    CKO - amorphous_projects

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Vista might actually be good for something.

Quote Originally Posted by High Camp View Post
    Hi All

I thought I'd just share that I found a use for Vista. My hard drive crashed hard last week and was spitting out I/O Buffer errors. I friend suggested freezing it (apparently this often works). I did this a tried it on Linux boxes and XP boxes with no luck. I was sitting around yesterday and out of curiosity plugged it (via usb adapter) into my room mates Vista box. Vista pulled up the FAT32 "user_data" partition without a problem and allowed me to pull most of my important data off. I was unable to pull most of my 30G of music but that I can live without now that I have all my business docs.

Hope that helps someone else out there.
    I have never heard of freezing the hdd before. I DID have a hdd that was giving me errors and crashing. I got made and slammed it on my desk a few times. I know, I know NOT supossed to do this. I figured what the heck it was trash anyways. However, this worked for me for a long time (3 months or so...). I'll try to keep freezing in mind for future reference. Thanks.
    System Specs: AMD Athlon X2 5000+ 3.0GHrz dual-core, XFX GeForce 8200 MB, 3.0GB DDR2, GeForce 9800GT 1024MB graphics card, 320GB hdd, 620GB hdd, Coolmaster CM690 case, Ubuntu 11.04 Ubuntu # 28694

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by High Camp View Post
    I was unable to pull most of my 30G of music but that I can live without now that I have all my business docs.
    If you have that much important data that you almost lost because of a hard drive problem, I think you need to start considering backups or else you will regret the loss of that data one day.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by stalkier View Post
    I have never heard of freezing the hdd before.
    Never? That's a really, really old trick. However, it will heat back up fast, so its not always good enough to get LOTS of data off unless its still "OK" enough to freeze and repeat many times.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
    Never? That's a really, really old trick. However, it will heat back up fast, so its not always good enough to get LOTS of data off unless its still "OK" enough to freeze and repeat many times.
    Any idea what the science is behind it? Sounds kind of backwards to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Any idea what the science is behind it? Sounds kind of backwards to me.
    A quick google gave me this:

The theory being that the freezing caused parts to contract and the rewarming caused them to re-expand and this release the stuck parts (probably the read/write arms).
    from here: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...06110111270170

Google "hard drive freezer" and see the thousands of people who have used this trick to save data. Ironically, I've tried it twice and both times the drives were too dead for it to help me.