Thread: Ubuntu keeps restarting...

Beans

Ubuntu keeps restarting...

Hello forum faithful,

I am new to the forums and am really just looking for a thread that may address my problem, but I will detail the problem anyway.

I had a power surge due to some heavy lightning that struck a tree outside my house, knocking two very large limbs off the tree.

It cost me a motherboard, cpu, 500W power supply and probably a 256mb video card as well. My RAM and HDD appear to have been spared.

I bought a new mb cpu and am getting a blue screen from windows about it not recognizing my HDD b/c I just plugged it right in as if nothing had happened. So I am trying to boot from Ubuntu to recover my personal files from the drive before I wipe it and switch over to Ubuntu for good. I've been using OpenOffice and other linux software for some time. I think it's about time I made the switch.

Anyway, I am using Ubuntu 7.10, and I have gotten as far as Ubuntu loading up, but after prompting for a username and autologging it starts resetting over and over.

Another thread I found a few days ago, but cannot find now, said to address some video settings, turning off the current driver and reverting back to "evda" or something like that. I would like to either be directed to that thread or have my issue addressed directly.

I have a minor pc troubleshooting background so I can follow instructions well, etc, but this is all mostly new to me. I could stand to be told how to go about recovering the data once I can finally get into Ubuntu as well. Is it as simple as burning it to CD?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Luke

Beans

Re: Ubuntu keeps restarting...

=(

anyone out there?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Have you tried booting into ubuntu from a live CD? Then at least you can see if the hardware works. If it does use the repair option to sort your OS.

Hopefully this will be some help

Beans

I'm using a live CD currently.

Where is this repair option of which you speak? Ubuntu noob here.

Beans

I'm bumping this b/c I have made no progress. Anyone???