Re: Windows Media player classic

You may try GNOME MPlayer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by AnRa View Post
    You may try GNOME MPlayer.
    That was an awesome way to get me to install it!

unfortunately it works like the default "media player" but worse. It's really slow for only a few seconds then the movie section of the window goes black.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

looks like you need w32codecs or w64codecs:
    www.medibuntu.org
    here's some other codecs i have on my ubuntu:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall lame vorbis-tools flac ffmpeg liblame0 gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-good gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-plugins-base gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse libdvdread3 gstreamer0.10-x gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3
    you should really stick to mplayer - or try smplayer which has simpler interface. but i use mplayer or totem player for my everyday use (movies, dvd etc)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

or as suggested before there's also mplayer.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mplayer
    Edwin Soto
    Ubuntero Developer - Ubuntero.org
    Jaunty Jackalope i386 - Custom Shuttle PC

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you don't like the way vlc looks you can change the skin to one that suits you.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you right-click when VLC is in full-screen mode, you get full controls in a popup menu.

You could also try Gxine, which has an option for controls when you're in full-screen mode.

The other option is to get an infrared remote control and reciever that is compatible with Linux. That way you can use any media player.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

yeah i agree wmpc rocks

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I've tried just about all of those suggestions - I have NO idea as to why but in those programs they play VERY slowly, stop and then crash the player. What is going on here? Can i just uninstall everything to do with those programs, reinstall them and will it be ok? It's honestly sending me crazy. To top that off now Amrock refuses to work and i've lost my system tray diplay of programs. I'm not entierly impressed at the moment.

cariboo907 - I've tried different skins with VLC, it still won't allow for mouse gestures. And i don't like the skins because i can't drag them around my Compiz Fusion cube.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Beatbreaker View Post
    I've tried just about all of those suggestions - I have NO idea as to why but in those programs they play VERY slowly, stop and then crash the player. What is going on here? Can i just uninstall everything to do with those programs, reinstall them and will it be ok? It's honestly sending me crazy. To top that off now Amrock refuses to work and i've lost my system tray diplay of programs. I'm not entierly impressed at the moment.

cariboo907 - I've tried different skins with VLC, it still won't allow for mouse gestures. And i don't like the skins because i can't drag them around my Compiz Fusion cube.

It may be easier to start over with a fresh install. But before you do, try this first and see if it helps. Open vlc - in the menu go to settings>preferences>output modules. Check the advanced button on the bottom. It should be using default - change these and see if one of these other settings gives you better quality video. Try X11 first then work your way down.

I think the main objective is to get your music and video running with the native programs then once you know the music and video are working you can add packages to see which you prefer. I think now you may have added and removed so many packages it is screwing up your system so a fresh install my be best at this point.

I also use MPC in Windows and I really like it but I have found that mplayer (with the smplayer front end) and vlc work great and I can do anything with these packages I could do with MPC. Ogle is very good for playing DVD's (it allows you to use the menus). I don't use Amarok though a lot of people like it. There are a number of good music managers/players that may suit your needs. I would recommend if you start with a fresh install that you start by installing the various codecs (video and audio) first - then add the packages once you have the video and audio working. It is actually even easier than the post I referred to above. If you do a fresh install - post back here before you add anything and I can walk you through the entire process.
    Last edited by cozmicharlie; June 8th, 2008 at 05:15 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast