Thread: Ubuntu Carputer Interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ubuntu Carputer Interface

Hi every-one, I'm working on a carputer that I hope will manage some of my cars' systems for me....starting with lights not brake ...Anyway; I am trying to discover what would be the best interface hardware to use....Think of this chalenge as a future proofing exercise....what technology will last...will be upgraded consistently and so forth....I have been thinking maybe bluetooth but the data-rate's are too low or firewire as used in aeroplanes and military aplications (IEEE 1394b) Hope you can offer some suggestions....whatever works will be posted online on my site for the free use of all...

(moderators: If this is in the wrong place please let me know where it should be....Cheers
    Last edited by Tristan Tonks; February 2nd, 2009 at 09:29 PM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Carputer Interface

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Tonks View Post
    Hi every-one, I'm working on a carputer that I hope will manage some of my cars' systems for me....starting with lights not brake ...Anyway; I am trying to discover what would be the best interface hardware to use....Think of this chalenge as a future proofing exercise....what technology will last...will be upgraded consistently and so forth....I have been thinking maybe bluetooth but the data-rate's are too low or firewire as used in aeroplanes and military aplications (IEEE 1394b) Hope you can offer some suggestions....whatever works will be posted online on my site for the free use of all...

(moderators: If this is in the wrong place please let me know where it should be....Cheers
    Is this what you're looking for?
    http://wiki.openice.org/index.php/The_LinuxICE_Project

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Tonks View Post

Sounds like a cool project.

Would you use OBD-II? That would be the way to interface with the vehicle's Engine Management System. If we could read the PATS and ABS modules that would be awesome! To spend $7000 on a tuner to be able to read these modules is ridculous.

Unfortunately, even though there are standards (J1850 etc...), all vehicle manufacturers implement the standards their own ways and extend it in their own ways. And unfortunately the manufacturers only release the computers to their own dealerships. What we really need is a vehicle with open electronics; a GNU GPL vehicle.

Have you looked at the Trinity device? I heard they had plans to release an actual API for it but I don't know if they have.

Beans

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your help folks....the linuxICE progect looks great...I've downloaded it and I'm sure it will save me loads of work. It also looks like the carman ODBII 'patch' within the os may be a good bet. I will have to upgrade my car from ODBI but i think for me that will be easier than working it the otherway. I am replacing the existing instruments with an lcd screen to compliment my 'enertainment' screen which is a 15" one. I will post images when its all working and a link to a how too. Keep posting Idea's cheers

Beans
    Distro

Hi Again...I have now installed the linuxICE to my carputer and it is 'running happily' There are a few issues .....No internet, but then Ubuntu cannot run my tplink wifi card so thats will be replaced. I would like some moderator to recommend a new thread for the linuxICE...It is Ubuntu based but there are significant differences that I think warrant a dedicated place here....I will be developing the Linux IVI in my vehicle for the purpose of managing hybrid technology including engine managment....Lets move linux into transport and start making some real differences.....discuss