Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Set the internet Free with Icecat

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Beans
    305
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Set the internet Free with Icecat

    Firefox is a wonderful browser but version 3 has a few annoying quirks. things like it locking up and the fact that many of the plugins are not longer compatible with it. On top of that Firefox's license is slowly becoming more restrictive with each release. So i have gone in search of a better more free alternative.
    I tried epiphany but it seemed really limited and i didn't like the interface for it. Then I found Icecat. It installs very simply from a script and then you just need to make a launcher for it.
    What's so great about it? well first of all it looks identical to FF. that is a big help for me because i like FF's interface. second many of the plugins for FF2 are compatible with it. third it is completely Free Software.
    Limitations: you can't just install plugins for adobe flash and such. I don't find that a problem because I use unplug to just download and watch flash videos. I also haven't really found a way to install themes.

    If you would like a good FF alternative look no further.
    http://www.gnu.org support the FSF join or donate http://www.fsf.org| Software Patents threaten every computer user: http://endsoftpatents.org/ | hit F6 twice choose free software only support Gnash:http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/1128/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Beans
    273
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: Set the internet Free with Icecat

    Alright, I will run Firefox 3 Beta and IceCat side by side now.
    Last edited by Yuki_Nagato; June 8th, 2008 at 04:26 AM.
    Angel's Egg: Go watch this, and then the movie. You have never seen anything like it.
    A shout-out to the Linux Mint team for their excellent port of Ubuntu.
    Use any OS worry-free with Derek's Virtual Box.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Beans
    6,115

    Re: Set the internet Free with Icecat

    actually i am more looking at debians iceweasel these days.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    DR
    Beans
    1,346
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Set the internet Free with Icecat

    Quote Originally Posted by drascus View Post
    Limitations: you can't just install plugins for adobe flash and such. I don't find that a problem because I use unplug to just download and watch flash videos. I also haven't really found a way to install themes.
    so you mean, that not even gnash or swfdec work with this...?
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Beans
    1,795

    Re: Set the internet Free with Icecat

    Quote Originally Posted by drascus View Post
    Firefox is a wonderful browser but version 3 has a few annoying quirks. things like it locking up and the fact that many of the plugins are not longer compatible with it. On top of that Firefox's license is slowly becoming more restrictive with each release. So i have gone in search of a better more free alternative.
    I tried epiphany but it seemed really limited and i didn't like the interface for it. Then I found Icecat. It installs very simply from a script and then you just need to make a launcher for it.
    What's so great about it? well first of all it looks identical to FF. that is a big help for me because i like FF's interface. second many of the plugins for FF2 are compatible with it. third it is completely Free Software.
    Limitations: you can't just install plugins for adobe flash and such. I don't find that a problem because I use unplug to just download and watch flash videos. I also haven't really found a way to install themes.

    If you would like a good FF alternative look no further.
    Firefox is free software. I don't have any problem with them having a copyright on their name. The latest beta is very stable and most of the extensions I use are still working.

    To me its less freedom that I am not allowed to use flash with icecat. That removes one of my freedoms

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Trafalmadore
    Beans
    948
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Smile Re: Set the internet Free with Icecat

    Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post
    Firefox is free software. I don't have any problem with them having a copyright on their name. The latest beta is very stable and most of the extensions I use are still working.
    Ditto and nightly tester tools will force any add on to work in FF3 I have been using the launchpad releases of rc1 & rc2 the days they came out launchpad has been releasing xulrunner with compatibility with their releases. I would wonder if Icecat has the same reliability in security that FF supposedly has.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Set the internet Free with Icecat

    If my plugins will work and it accepts GTK, I'll try it out.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    buffalo, ny, usa
    Beans
    167
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Set the internet Free with Icecat

    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    actually i am more looking at debians iceweasel these days.
    +1 iceweasel is great, its even optimized for 64 bit computers

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    India
    Beans
    1,246
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Set the internet Free with Icecat

    Quote Originally Posted by bufsabre666 View Post
    +1 iceweasel is great, its even optimized for 64 bit computers


    Yes, so i hear.Iceweasel is pretty great .

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Somewhere but Not Here
    Beans
    965
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Set the internet Free with Icecat

    Quote Originally Posted by rajeev1204 View Post
    Yes, so i hear.Iceweasel is pretty great .
    So is Seamonkey.
    My blog | Ubuntu Hardware List | Wine Application Database | Jamendo
    (Don't "sudo rm -rf" anything. See this page)
    It's all about fixing BUG #1!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •