Thread: help with installation

Beans

help with installation

I've had Edubuntu for a while now, and any time I try and install something, either from the Add/Remove Programs or the Internet, I can't. When I try and install something from the Add/Remove programs, nothing happens. When I try and install something from the internet, it goes to the package installer, and then a message pops up telling me that synaptic or one of the other package managing programs is running, and I have to close it before I can install. I don't have any other programs like that running, so what do I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: help with installation

Dumb question here, but I'm notorious for such: have you closed Add/Remove totally after using it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Can you add from Synaptic or the Terminal or both?
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by runandjump View Post
    I don't have any other programs like that running, so what do I do?
    You can check which processes are running with:
    Code:
    ps -u username
    ps -u root

For instance, the Add/Remove app is listed as "gnome-app-insta" under my username, and Synaptic is listed as "synaptic" when searched for with the 'root' variation above.

Added: Should you find any listed under the root command, you can kill the process with:
    Code:
    sudo killall appname_or_process
    For those found with your username, you don't need to add the "sudo". Interestingly, the identified processes are sometimes truncated, so gnome-app-insta is actually killed by the command:
    Code:
    killall gnome-app-install
    Last edited by drs305; June 8th, 2008 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Added ps and killall info

Beans

haha. Yes, I've closed Add/Remove Programs. when I try and install something with the package manager I don't have anything open but firefox and rhythmbox