Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: accessing 2nd hard drive, problems...

Beans

Re: accessing 2nd hard drive, problems...

Thanks bumanie... I'm trying to stay away from fat and ntfs. The clients are going to be my own PC's (home network), and I am trying to move everything from Windows based systems and networking to Ubuntu. Windows will stay in dual-boot for those games that won't run in Wine (Flight Simulator X, and a few others), but everything else will be done under Ubuntu.

Funny thing is that I wiped the hard drive with my gparted live CD and figured I would do the rest from within Ubuntu. That is going to be my next course of action. Thank you for bringing it up because I didn't think of it. Will post the results in a bit.

I can't take much more frustration right now. Between this and trying to find a Wii Fit for my son I'm gonna loose it...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

its sda if its the primary sata
    its sdb if its a secondary sata drive
    its generally hda if its ide
    hdb, hdc etc.

if you need to format the drive

sudo mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sdb
    in order to mount and see your drive follow these few steps..

type

mount
    look for your drive, should be /dev/sdb

then create a folder where you would like your drive mounted, /media/something is preferred so

sudo mkdir /media/drive2
    then

mount /dev/sdb /media/drive2
    Last edited by |{urse; June 7th, 2008 at 09:04 PM.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Try and relax. I can understand one wishing to avoid ntfs if possible, but it may be an OK 'stop-gap' solution, for an interim period. By the way what brand of hard drive is it? I know there have been some issues with some external drives not behaving too well with ubuntu, but haven't heard about any internal drives being problematic as yet.
    Windows is the best virus detector on the market!
    Ubuntu attracts Human Beings - Windows attracts viruses and worms

Beans

Thanks |{urse... Right now I have the drive formatting via the gparted live cd. I had to take a break and play some Mario Kart Wii with my son, and eat dinner. Will let you know what is happening with it a bit later.

bumanie, the primary drive is an older Maxtor 8gig IDE, low profile drive (it has hardly been used, so it is pretty fresh as far as wear), the secondary is an IBM Deathstar (Deskstar) 40gig IDE. Both drives are stop-gap measures in and of themselves, and will hopefully be replaced by 160gig + SATA drives within a few weeks. You can call this a practice and learning build that will make it a lot easier on my when I have to do it again. A third drive is going to join these two after I get it working smoothly, and it is a Western Digital 120gig IDE. I may even go for some really cheap IDE drives as the motherboard has built in RAID (for 4 drives), as well as 4 SATA drives.
    Last edited by PsycoGeek; June 7th, 2008 at 11:59 PM. Reason: My speelllling suxors...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    its sda if its the primary sata
    its sdb if its a secondary sata drive
    its generally hda if its ide
    hdb, hdc etc.

if you need to format the drive

in order to mount and see your drive follow these few steps..

type

look for your drive, should be /dev/sdb

then create a folder where you would like your drive mounted, /media/something is preferred so

then
    I followed all the steps and mounted /dev/sda1 (that's what it keeps coming up as, even though it is an IDE drive) to /media/shares. It is labeled correctly but I still have no permissions to write any data to it.

BTW, some Mario Kart Wii, a little bit of Battlefield 2, and watching some TV with the wife (who is doing a grand total of 4 double shifts for her next paycheck, she's an LPN) and son really hit the spot for a bit of relaxation.

Any idea where to go from here?

>2nd edit< Also, I can't unmount after it is mounted, but it disappears on a re-boot.
    Last edited by PsycoGeek; June 8th, 2008 at 05:34 AM. Reason: added question

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12