Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu is overheating/destroying my laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: Ubuntu is overheating/destroying my laptop

Adding to the long list, a HP Compaq NC8430 with a core2duo. The excessive heat is causing lock-ups. Most of the time at the end of the workday combined with cpu intensive tasks.

I'm experiencing this problem since the last two Ubuntu releases, prior and on Ubuntu 7.x I had less problems. When I'll find some spare time I'll try underclocking with PHC..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Try uninstalling powersaved and installing powernowd. That stopped the random shutdowns on my k7 laptop, but did not make the CPU temperature reporting any more accurate. The fan and CPU freq scaling are working more or less as they were before.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here is a recently opened bug report on Launchpad. Everyone with this issue should add there comment to this bug report to help raise its profile and help the developers understand the scope of the problem.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/296056

I also have a little bit of heat under left palm rest of my Lenovo SL300 (T9400 2.5GHz) in Ubuntu. The heat is much less in Windows Vista.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Another bug report related to overheating:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...pi/+bug/107937

Beans

Newbie question
    I have a similar problem. My Dell XPS M140 with SSD I just installed ubuntu 8.10 and now the fan runs all the time, which it didn't on windows xp. I need to either raise the fan trip point or lower the temperature by removing unnecessary background activity like TSRs etc. Powertop suggests the main CPU drain is coming from USB-related interrupts, nothing connected. Also, the trips appear to be on at 55 and off at 47. Any ideas?
    Lemme know. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I believe that for a Dell laptop you can use a tool to control the fans. Try googling for it. You can change trip point like this:
    Code:
    echo "83:83:60:70:0" > /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/trip_points
    (as root).

Beans

I am also having thermal issues (overheating due to not scaling down for some seconds from max frequency to give cpu a chance to lower its temperature).

I have ACER 1524 (ubuntu 8.10)

I didn't do a thorough test but I tried setting options to thermal module.

Editted my /etc/modprobe.d/options and added the following line:

options thermal tzp=30 act=0 crt=0 psv=0
    (tzp=30 means 3 seconds of polling)

( https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...6/comments/264 )

Will see how it's going in the following days but for now it works fine: when cpu load reaches 99% it scales up to max frequency (on-demand governor) and when temp reaches 90 degrees it scales down one frequency for a few seconds - it is enough for temp to drop down to 70 degrees. Then, it scales up again to max freq to cope with heavy cpu load. Again, when temp reaches 90 degrees it scales down again for a few seconds and so on.

I tested with command yes | sha1sum and it actually DID NOT SHUT DOWN!

I hope my problem is fixed - we'll see...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I solved the overheating by disassembling my laptop and cleaning out the dust...

Beans

My Laptop is an Acer Aspire 5720z (Ubuntu 8.10 64 bits) and the internal fan stops working during boot time causing overheating and shutting down.

If I re-start the computer again, the fan remains stopping during boot.

I know a workaround for this problem: first I installed gkrellm and lm-sensors. Then, while monitoring the CPU temp, when it got to 75 degrees Celsius I restarted the computer and the fan "magically" started during boot.

It seems that the CPU needs to get to 75 C for the kernel to recognize that it needs internal fan working.

It worked for me several times (no need to buy those external laptop fans).

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast