Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Seamless MS Windows on Hardy with VirtualBox and Beryl

Beans

Re: Seamless MS Windows on Hardy with VirtualBox and Beryl

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Chambers View Post
    I'm having the EXACT same trouble as Yogi when trying this. Following the guide, and I lose internet/network access on my workstation (host and VM obviously). I'm certain I'm missing something since so many others have gotten this to work - but I'm not sure what it might be! Any help is much appreciated.
    I'm also having the EXACT same problem. My host ip is 10.0.2.232 (main_ip)and I've found an empty ip in my subnet 10.0.2.7 which I assign as the (vbox_ip). eth0 is my network card (the only physical card installed), and it's hard wired with a static ip. We don't use dhcp.

Code:
    tunctl -t tap0 -u eric
    chmod 0666 /dev/net/tun
    /usr/sbin/brctl addbr br0
    /sbin/ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 promisc
    /usr/sbin/brctl addif br0 eth0
    /sbin/dhclient br0
    /usr/sbin/brctl addif br0 tap0
    ifconfig tap0 10.0.2.7 up
    bash -c 'echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/tap0/proxy_arp'
    route add -host 10.0.2.232 dev tap0
    arp -Ds 10.0.2.232 eth0 pub
    As soon as I restart the network, my box can't even resolve it's own hostname. Any ideas? The line "/sbin/dhclient br0" times out (as it should because we don't have dhcp), I assume it's safe to remove this completely?

Beans

I found another method here http://www.bluetwanger.de/blog/2007/...tu-704-feisty/

It worked well for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by jkyahoo101 View Post
    I have a question. I have Ubuntu 8.04 installed inside of my XP install using that Wubi program. I need XP for games and some applications. One of the games I play is Crysis. I would like to know how much slower Crysis would run in a virtual box compared to regular XP if I did a full install of Ubuntu 8.04 and set up XP in the virtual box.

Just in case here are my pc's specs.

Pentium D Dual 3Ghz processors
    2Gb of ram
    Nvidia 512Mb 8600GS graphics card
    with that set up .. is it seamless desktop .. using that wubi program?
    Jack Frost

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This one bugged me for quite some time and because this article is SO rich and through, I thought I'd add my findings here to help even more.

Ubuntu Hardy on a Lenovo T61 laptop. Using Virtualbox 2.0.2 and WinXP.

Rdesktop 1.6 (manually compiled), I got sound via this:

Code:
    rdesktop -r sound:remote:$AUDIODEV
    Thanks for the great article!

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

For whatever reason, I managed to install using both Synaptic and by direct download from Sun. This has totally hosed things. I was able to back out the Synaptic installation easily enough. Now, can someone explain how I might uninstall the version I downloaded from Sun manually? I just want to start over but I can't do anything until all traces of the former installations are gone.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jamesisin View Post
    For whatever reason, I managed to install using both Synaptic and by direct download from Sun. This has totally hosed things. I was able to back out the Synaptic installation easily enough. Now, can someone explain how I might uninstall the version I downloaded from Sun manually? I just want to start over but I can't do anything until all traces of the former installations are gone.
    You should be able to open the downloaded .deb (the one from Sun) and then after it opens you have the option (or should have the option) to remove/uninstall.

HTH,

Mike

Beans
    Distro

Anyone having any success with WiFi bridging into the same bridge as the physical ethernet? As in attached .png

TIA,

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by maphilli14; September 19th, 2008 at 03:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@maphilli14 - Thanks. You are near correct. I downloaded the most recent version from Sun and was able to install it using the deb package. There is no uninstall option that I can find. I thought it may show after I finished installing the new package. No such luck. However, now that I have reinstalled the latest version I am able to open VirtualBox fine.

I would like to know how to uninstall deb packages which have been installed outside Synaptic in case that is useful in the future. Is there a command which does that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by jamesisin View Post
    @maphilli14 - Thanks. You are near correct. I downloaded the most recent version from Sun and was able to install it using the deb package. There is no uninstall option that I can find. I thought it may show after I finished installing the new package. No such luck. However, now that I have reinstalled the latest version I am able to open VirtualBox fine.

I would like to know how to uninstall deb packages which have been installed outside Synaptic in case that is useful in the future. Is there a command which does that?
    As far as I know they show up in synaptic once they're installed, always worked for me anyway. Does anybody know if it's possible to use the media center side of windows through virtualbox to an xbox 360? I've searched but so far not found anything helpful, would be nice though, I could run it in the background rather than having to keep fiddling with fuppes (which is a royal pain in the ****).
    Be somebody or be somebodies fool
    Ubuntu 11.04 AMD64 : Intel Core2Duo E4400 : 4GB DDR2 : ECS GF9600 GT : XFX Nforce 650i Mobo : 250gb Maxtor SATA300 HDD : 500gb WD SATA300 HDD : Pioneer 18x SATA DVDRW : Samsung 205BW TFT @ 1680x1050

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Belongs to tutorials and tips.
    Sayak Banerjee
    KDE Sysadmin | KDE e.V.
    Need help? Contact us.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast