Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horrible Problem. Need Pc Genius.

Beans

Angry Horrible Problem. Need Pc Genius.

I had Windows Vista on my PC originally. I partitioned the hard drive, and installed Linux. I then got on Vista and deleted the partition, to make it say Unallocated Space. Then I went to the Extender thing in Vista and it made the C drive combine with the Unallocated Space to recreate one big hard drive. I then tried to restart my PC, and it won't do anything except come up with an error that says something like GRUB NOT FOUND or something like that. I think it has something to do with the dual booter. I need help, fast. I'm using the Linux CD to boot from, and using the try it out feature.

Beans

Re: Horrible Problem. Need Pc Genius.

I'm assuming you don't want Linux on your machine anymore. Boot from the Vista CD, open a command prompt and type "fixmbr". This puts Vista in control of the master boot record and allows you to boot into Vista.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...fm/722827.html

Beans

Loaded - I got your PM. Please keep it in the forum so others can view the process for a solution.

If you don't have a Vista DVD, do you have a floppy drive and if so, do you know how to make a windows bootable floppy? This will enable you to run the fixmbr command when you boot from the floppy.

Beans

I do not have a floppy drive.

I'm using a laptop.

Another alternative I'm thinking about, is to just turn to Linux altogether. I like Linux, but I don't know how to use it well. I need to learn how to install things, and use the Terminals, etc.

Beans

That sort of information typically isn't implanted in your head overnight - it takes a while to get used to the operating system and how to do what you need to do. If you don't need the Vista image anymore, then by all means come join us. Otherwise, download any number of bootable cd's such as the Ultimate Boot CD and burn it to a CD or DVD. I'm assuming you have burning capabilities, right?

Beans

Yeah, but I'll have to do it on a different PC. Also, I'm using Vista. Does that effect anything for the Ultimate Boot CD?
    Last edited by LoadedBum; June 7th, 2008 at 07:58 AM. Reason: More info.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

You can also download Super Grub and burn it to a live CD and install it that will boot you into vista without needing the vista CD. Check out there web site for more info.
    If you ask me you are way better off staying with Ubuntu. I was really strange for me when I first started it but it took me like a week or two before I knew how to do everything I needed to do. It really doesn't take that long. I think you should give it a shot
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans

I know I'm probably getting on your nerves for asking so many questions. I apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you so much for helping me out so far.

I think I want to stick to Linux, but I need some advice and knowledge about somethings.

Is it possible to do everything with Windows that I can with Linux? I mean stuff like put stuff on my iPod, take files off of my cell phone with Windows Mobile, etc.? I know Wine helps for some of these things, but I don't know about some.
    STOP PM'ING ME FOR THE LAST TIME. Put all of your questions and comments here so if I'm afk someone else can jump in and help you. I'm going to bed - I'll add what I can later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

You told me in the PM that now when you start the installer it dosn't have the option to resize the window$ partition anymore?
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Is there a thread with just vista related problems? Has any one taken pictures of a vista box burning? Has anyone made a movie or slide show of mad vista users? Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast