Thread: ntfs-3g woes

Beans

ntfs-3g woes

Xubuntu 8.04
    i've got a problem with the ntfs-config program.
    2 harddives = 1]Win [windows programs, etc][ntfs]
    = 2]Music files [ntfs]]
    I was away for a couple of days and when i started up my computer, the ntfs-3g program wasn't working, in that it didn't recognize either of my ntfs hard drives. It was running fine b4, but when i restarted i did the Xubuntu updates that were required. I ran the ntfs-config prog and it kept giving me an error [an error occurred please retry]
    if i go into file system and go thru media file and try to open hard drive that way it shows that my music hard drive is accessible but when i open it, it is mot my music files it is my windows files. It won't let me access the music files at all saying - Failed to open - permission denied.

I have 2 machines and they are both on Xubuntu. The older machine runs Xubuntu 7.10 and ntfs-3g workes just fine.
    What can i do to solve this problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: ntfs-3g woes

Could you give me what error does it shows.

I think that you haven't shut down the windows properly when you used your system last time.

If you hibernated or turned of your PC without shut down you may get Permission denied error.

but this may not be the problem in your case as you are saying that you can access your windows partition.

Just post the result error here.

Be as much as informative you can so that we can help you as much we can.
    "Those Who Can, Will Finish It.
    Those Who Can't Will Justify/Complain the reasons."

Beans

rraj.be
    thank you for quick reply.
    The error i was getting was permission denied, however i just booted back into windows to make sure harddrives were still good[they are] and when i booted back into Xubuntu it was all working again.
    So, problem fixed, but i don't remember shutting down improperly. However i did install a new nic card and did recieve an error on start up, but that had more to do with BIOS, not Xubuntu. Anyhow seems to be ok for now.
    Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you feel any thread helped you and if you want to thank you can click the medal symbol near that respective post at the bottom.

Further mark your thread as solved if it's really solved.

To mark solved go to
    Code:
    at the top of the thread and select
    Code:
    MARK THIS THREAD AS SOLVED.
    see my signature to know why it should be marked.

If you are having any doubts further you are free tp ask here rather than messing up yourself.

It may be anything regarding computer.If you have problem's regarding NIC card you can start a new thread or post a new post.
    "Those Who Can, Will Finish It.
    Those Who Can't Will Justify/Complain the reasons."

Beans

well apparently, it is not 'SOLVED'
    Seems every time i boot into winxp and reboot to Xubuntu i loose the ntfs-3g/ntfs-config stuff. Yesterday it came back on its own. I have rebooted several times and it is still not working. The weirdest thing is that the desktop short cut i have for my Music opens as the desktop shortcut for my winxp
    Where in heck do I start to solve this problem?