Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop Battery Foul-up

Laptop Battery Foul-up

Can anybody please explain what is this all about?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Laptop Battery Foul-up

Well, it looks like it isn't taking a charge and is spitting out ridiculous numbers. I would shut down and leave it plugged into the wall; see if it takes more of a charge.

If it is always at 66%, you might have to do a few deep cycles with the battery. Unplug the computer from the wall and run it until it either shuts down or dies. Leave the computer off but plugged into the wall.

If the battery continues to charge, but the times stay the same, I'm not sure where to start.
    Asus P5K Premium | e3110 | 8gb G.Skill | 9800GTX | 5.35 TB
    CM 830 Evo Stacker | HX620W | 2x BenQ G2400W

"I do not know what overkill means"

I'm gonna try that (shut down while still plugged to the wall).

One thing I noticed about my battery is the capacity decreased tremendously since I had this laptop almost two months ago. Battery capacity is now only 88% (see attachment). Just two weeks ago it was at least 95%. I already did a battery calibration in BIOS a week ago but I don't see any improvements.

On a side note, how can I change the output of Gnome Screenshot to.jpg instead of .png? One screenshot is more than 1mb and I have to flatten the image in Gimp so I can upload it here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by carlolovearianne View Post
    I'm gonna try that (shut down while still plugged to the wall).

One thing I noticed about my battery is the capacity decreased tremendously since I had this laptop almost two months ago. Battery capacity is now only 88% (see attachment). Just two weeks ago it was at least 95%. I already did a battery calibration in BIOS a week ago but I don't see any improvements.

On a side note, how can I change the output of Gnome Screenshot to.jpg instead of .png? One screenshot is more than 1mb and I have to flatten the image in Gimp so I can upload it here.
    The battery may be on its way out. If the capacity has been decreasing that quickly, I would suggest completely depleting the battery and letting it charge up without the laptop running. Do that a few times and it should improve or fix it.

Regarding the screenshot, I just save them as PNG and use GIMP to convert.

Beans

Wow.. on the note that your battery's capacity has gone down so much... so has mine! Just over a month it started and at the beginning it was great... within just a few days it flew from the high 90's to exactly 88% and has stayed there for the last month. Could this just be a random false reading?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by damis648 View Post
    Could this just be a random false reading?
    Possibly, but I would suggest a cycle or two to see if it improves the load it can handle.

Wow.. on the note that your battery's capacity has gone down so much... so has mine! Just over a month it started and at the beginning it was great... within just a few days it flew from the high 90's to exactly 88% and has stayed there for the last month. Could this just be a random false reading?
    Feels good to know I'm not alone in this battery charge/reading madness

I guess what I'm gonna do first is I'm gonna let the battery run out. To be fair with the battery reading, it is more less accurate when it comes to the amount of time the juice runs out. 90% charge right now and it's giving me 2 hours of life. The depletion I guess depends on the app I will run in the next hour or so.

I've also restarted the laptop to see if the funny charge time still shows up after rebooting and it does still show.

Reminds me of a Stuffit bug in Mac OS X, when it shows ridiculous amount of time to compress/decompress a file (sometimes it shows it will take billions of hours!)

Beans

I might do a few cycles to see... but when i have time. Right now I am using my laptop almost all the time. (and do not want to lose any data i guess)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I might do a few cycles to see... but when i have time. Right now I am using my laptop almost all the time. (and do not want to lose any data i guess)
    The laptop should shut down unless you have it configured not to shutdown/hibernate or the battery has such little capacity that it can't shutdown quick enough.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thideras View Post
    The laptop should shut down unless you have it configured not to shutdown/hibernate or the battery has such little capacity that it can't shutdown quick enough.
    I have configured it to hibernate but that is still a bit fishy so...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast