Thread: Is there a DVB application that works in Hardy Heron

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Is there a DVB application that works in Hardy Heron

That might seem like a silly question. Of course there is, Kaffeine, MythTV, Me TV, Totem, VLC etc. Well I've tried them all and I can't find one that works reliably.

Kaffeine - seems OK, scans, detects all channels, EPG works but is not very well presented. But try changing channels and nine times out of ten it hangs. The window greys out and I have to do a force quit. I then have to end the process in system monitor before it will work again.

MythTV - What a fight to install and setup, eventually I got the backend running with all channels detected. The front end starts, connects to the backend and starts displaying the program. After two or three seconds the video freezes and the front end stops responding.

Me TV - Runs and displays TV but its very unhappy if any of the desktop Visual Effects are switched on. So I either have the nice eye-candy effects or TV but not both.

Totem - I eventually figured out how to get Totem to connect to the video stream from my TV card. But there is no sensible way to change or select channels, not that I can find anyway, and when I change channel with the Next and Previous chapter button its 50/50 as to whether I get any audio.

VLC - My preferred media player but its DVB support is even less usable than Totem and when I eventually got it to display video from the TV card the audio was so choppy it was unusable.

Has anyone made any of these DVB players work properly in Hardy Heron. I'm about to go back to Media Portal under Windows!!!!

Beans

Re: Is there a DVB application that works in Hardy Heron

I have only tried Kaffeine, Me TV and Myth.

For ease of setup and the way it runs on my pc I prefer kaffeine.

Rob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

me-tv is my favourite

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've used Kaffeine with some success in the past but it is prone to crashing. MythTV I gave up on - far too complicated. Several other apps I couldn't get to work either for various reasons. I'm now trying Me TV with a new DVB-T USB stick (Freecom) but can't seem to get the device working in anything other than my "legacy" Win XP system with it's driver and software. As I posted in another thread, I think I must be missing something because another member has it working in Hardy.
    Desktops: AMD64X2 3GB RAM 500GB SATA2 GeForce9400GT - P4 HT 3.2Ghz 1GB RAM 250GB IDE + 2x160GB SATA ATI Radeon X740XL - Laptop AMD AthlonXP 1.6 512MB RAM 120GB HD ATI M200

Gina's Ubuntu HowTo's for beginners (and reference)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Totem has some DVB functionality, but so far my attempts have been greeted with vague screams about plugins.

Kaffeine works well for me, I had it running DVB last night as I was testing some hardware, but I've not used is extensively for DVB as I have a multi-room, multi-encoder mythtv setup.

mplayer and xine are used as the backenends for the above applications so you might want to investigate those, and I'm sure there's a few hundred applications that are based on them that mihgt be of interest

Mythtv is awesome if you can get it to work, and well suited for use with a remote at TV-watching distance and is thus ideal if you're planning a media centre.