Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless network card drivers installed with ndiswrapper, but wont connect?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Wireless network card drivers installed with ndiswrapper, but wont connect?

Sadly no, I do not use a 64-bit CPU =P

Before I go through the process of plugging and unplugging my card etc, could you recommend anywhere that I could obtain the 32bit firmware drivers for my acx chipset? Google doesn't exactly yield many helpful results.

Failing that, I think I will take your latter advice and simply reinstall (And hope my graphics drivers installation will go a little smoother this time round ;p)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Before I go through the process of plugging and unplugging my card etc, could you recommend anywhere that I could obtain the 32bit firmware drivers for my acx chipset?
    The quickest way that I can think of is to boot to the Ubuntu live CD and browse to the /lib/firmware/<kernel> directory of the live session. Make an archive of the acx subdirectory (you can make an archive by right clicking the acx folder and selecting "Create Archive"--use whichever compression scheme you like the most). Then save it to your hard drive, a USB stick or whatever's handy, or email it to yourself (it's only 1.2 megabytes on my machine). Then simply unpack and copy it into the appropriate place in /lib/firmware on your installed Ubuntu system. In principle this should all work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The acx firmware is found in linux-restricted-modules. If you installed the kernel specific package, it may have not upgraded the package when you got a new kernel. If you do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-generic
    It will install the version matching your kernel and update it when a new kernel is installed.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi there guys

After trying both of your suggestions with no avail, I decided to do a fresh reinstall. Oddly enough, once I came back to the fresh system, I still had issues with the network until I uninstalled network-manager again - I can now happily connect to the internet through the terminal and iwconfig. Odd stuff.

Anyway, all that remains now is for me to try and get these video drivers working again, hopefully without destroying my drivers this time

Thanks for all your help.

Beans

Just saying that I could successfully use my wireless card Netgear Wg511v2 card using Ndiswrapper. I had troubles and hassles installing this with the previous releases (such as adding prism54 to the blacklist). Now all I needed to do is install 3 packages, ndiswrapper-commons, ndiswrapper-utils, and ndis-gtk, and then install the INF file , then the card flashes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Anyway, all that remains now is for me to try and get these video drivers working again, hopefully without destroying my drivers this time
    Sorry the process got so messy--I thought we could have figured out what was going on much more easily--but at least you're back with a fresh system. As I mentioned before, I highly recommend trying envy to get your nvidia card working. Just run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install envyng-gtk
    and after it finishes installing, run envy with:
    Code:
    sudo envyng
    It has a nice graphical interface and has never failed me in getting nvidia cards configured properly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12