Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: ALSA 1.0.17 Installation Script

Beans

Re: ALSA 1.0.17-rc1 Scripts & alsa-base Configuration

Script update for ALSA 1.0.17 final release. Also added a line to decompress alsa-tools package so it can build and added alsa-oss package install.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nescafi View Post
    Hello, I had the same problem and I solved it !

The reason is that the ko modules are not actually installed in the /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver (check the version of the kernel you use).
    I don't know why "make install" didn't work and am not able to fix it.

So i decided to install manually the modules myself. This is how I proceeded.
    The driver must be correctly compiled before to do that.
    Code:
    # backup old modules (change kernel version matching your system of course)
    mkdir ~/alsabackup
    cp -r /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver ~/alsabackup

# this is my ugly trick to get the modules tree
    mkdir ~/temp
         # go to the directory containing the driver sources you just compiled: 
    cd /usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.17rc3/
    find ./ -name ''*.ko'' > ~/temp/listemodules
    tar -cv -T ~/temp/listemodules -f ~/temp/alsa-driver-1.0.17rc3.tar
    mkdir alsa-driver
    cd alsa-driver
    tar xvf ../alsa-driver-1.0.17rc3.tar

# à présent j'ai toute l'arborescence des modules dans ~/temp/alsa-driver
    # remove all these buggy old modules !
    sudo rm -fr /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver
    # copy the new modules instead
    sudo cp -r ~/temp/alsa-driver /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/ubuntu/sound/
    # reste plus qu'à redémarrer carrément le système
    sudo reboot
    This worked for me
    How nice you found a way of upgrading without recompiling the kernel, must try that next time.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Temüjin,
    I may be missing something, but where is the latest Script update for ALSA 1.0.17 final release ?

Isao

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isachan View Post
    Temüjin,
    I may be missing something, but where is the latest Script update for ALSA 1.0.17 final release ?

Isao
    Attached to the first post. This forum allows you to edit attachments (although it resets the download/view count).

Beans

>Now, open /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base with the following command:
    >
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    >Modify or add this line with modelname = to the appropriate model >name from the list below:
    >
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=modelname
    This worked for my Asus F3Sr with the sound card ALC660-VD:

snd-hda-intel model=lenovo

Thank you kindly!

Beans

I'm running Kubuntu 8.04 on a Lenovo Y410 laptop and this worked for me as well. I specified my model as 'lenovo-3000' in my alsa-base file and now have all my audio devices working except for the internal microphone. Big thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

taylorg273 posted in another thread:
    I successfully upgraded to Alsa 1.0.17 thanks to that thread. I used the scripts from post #1 and the configuration instructions in post #19. I now have all of the audio hardware working except for the internal mic (external mic jack is OK). The headphone jack works and even cuts off the speakers when the headphone plug is inserted.

The scripts will download and install everything needed from Alsa. There is one missing step in the instructions in post #19. The 'alsa-driver' directory needs to be created in your home directory for the remainder of the steps to work. This new driver has a model option for 'lenovo-3000' which is what I am now using in my /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.

Also just got the webcam working in Skype - too bad I don't have the mic to go with it.
    I tried following the instructions from #19 but I got compile errors trying to "make" alsa-driver..

Code:
    In file included from /home/david/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.17/soc/soc-dapm.c:2:
    /home/david/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.17/soc/../alsa-kernel/soc/soc-dapm.c: In function ‘dapm_pop_time_store’:
    /home/david/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.17/soc/../alsa-kernel/soc/soc-dapm.c:834: error: implicit declaration of function ‘strict_strtoul’
    make[3]: *** [/home/david/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.17/soc/soc-dapm.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [/home/david/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.17/soc] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/david/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.17] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-20-generic'
    make: *** [compile] Error 2
    any ideas?
    Last edited by fung; July 25th, 2008 at 02:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

same here, got around it buy compiling another version - there are plenty available on alsa page.
    i used 1.0.16, changed that damn patch_via.c and it compiled, make install and headphone jack is not dead anymore!
    Last edited by Vaphell; July 25th, 2008 at 02:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I read somewhere (a quick Google search) that v1.0.17 doesn't compile with my kernel 2.6.24 so I had some time and decided to compile the latest kernel. I'll post the results after it's finished.

Beans

I looked this over a few times and did some searching and it seems like these scripts won't work properly. Hardy changed the location where the alsa drivers are supposed to be installed, and Alsa doesn't install them in the proper place.

The Ubuntu wiki for intel hda says:

Code:
    ubuntu default snd-hda-intel.ko location: /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/ubuntu/media/snd-hda-intel/snd-hda-intel.ko 

alsa 1.0.15's installation location: /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko 

so copy /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko to /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/ubuntu/media/snd-hda-intel/snd-hda-intel.ko . 

and put the modules/* in alsa's compile directory into /lib/modules/.../kernel/sound, you can use "find" to get their location. snd-hda-intel.ko snd-hwdep.ko snd.ko snd-mixer-oss.ko snd-page-alloc.ko snd-pcm.ko snd-pcm-oss.ko snd-rtctimer.ko snd-seq-device.ko snd-seq.ko snd-seq-midi-event.ko snd-seq-oss.ko snd-timer.ko
    Another wiki page on the HP 2133 says:

Code:
    The sound drivers install to the wrong place, so next you'll type the following commands. If you're using a different version of the kernel, put that in place of 2.6.24-19-generic: 
    cd /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic
    sudo cp -a kernel/sound/* ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/
    Including the OP's method, these are all conflicting methods. So where are all the driver files supposed to go? /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/ or /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/sound/

???

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast