Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remove Unnecessary Packages and Other Random Tidbits

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Remove Unnecessary Packages and Other Random Tidbits

Yes, I have that in there. I did actually use it when I was writing my first basic pygtk program, but I do think it's odd that it's installed with no visible link to it anywhere...
    I might try organizing this differently, right now it's loosely upon program type.
    If I'm not being clear enough or giving you enough information, just ask

"But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up."

Smooth scrolling for GTK!

Beans

gr8 guide by the way m8. I'm sure this will be very useful for ppl who want a server gui but need to remove a lot of the fat.

it's not very clear that when it says 'this is a dependency of ubuntu-desktop' that 'ubuntu-dekstop' wont actually be removed.

well done
    Check out my sites hosted on Ubuntu...
    Support Technical
    Gareth Simpson

Beans
    Distro

I'm not sure where you got that specific quote, but if ubuntu-desktop depends on something, and you remove that something, ubuntu-desktop will be removed, too. I added a comment about that before the removals section now. Thanks for mentioning it, I'm glad you like the guide.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

is there a way you can throw all this in an GUI, it be a great tool to install on a new system.. atm its a lot of typing and pasting. I made a small script which you can run which will remove most of the useless prgms, not the IF stuff just the plain useless junk. You can see it here http://pastebin.org/52100

#!/bin/sh
    #
    # Meuk Cleaner v0.2
    #
    clear
    echo Created by Phoenix81000
    echo Props to Sam Lars
    echo http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=820804
    sudo apt-get -q -y purge ubuntu-desktop bluez-gnome bluez-utils xscreensaver-gl xscreensaver-data rss-glx screensaver-default-images tomboy ekiga libopal-2.2 xcursor-themes language-support-writing-en language-support-en language-support-translations-en myspell-en-za openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb openoffice.org-help-en-gb openoffice.org-l10n-en-za openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-au gimp-help-common yelp gimp-help-en gnome-user-guide diveintopython ubuntu-docs thunderbird-locale-en-gb ppp pppconfig pppoeconf wvdial xsane xsane-common tracker tracker-search-tool libdeskbar-tracker libtracker-gtk0 zenity gnome-games gnome-games-data gnome-cards-data scim scim-bridge-agent scim-bridge-client-gtk scim-gtk2-immodule scim-modules-socket libscim8c2a brltty brltty-x11 gnome-app-install python-pyatspi at-spi mousetweaks gnome-mag gnome-orca bogofilter bogofilter-bdb libgsl0ldbl ubuntu-sounds example-content evolution-exchange evolution-webcal guile-1.6-libs gnome-pilot gnome-pilot-conduits gnome-accessibility-themes eog deskbar-applet contact-lookup-applet fast-user-switch-applet splix min12xxw tsclient vino sound-juicer
    echo cleaning...
    sudo apt-get -q -y autoremove
    sudo apt-get -q -y clean
    clear
    echo xxxx Meuk Remover Routine Completed! xxxx
    My first attempt at a script anyway. Basically paste this in a new file and call it meukcleaner.sh then open a terminal and run it by sh meukcleaner.sh Saved me lots of time when i reinstall ubuntu

thx for the info though!
    Last edited by phoenix81000; July 17th, 2008 at 05:30 PM. Reason: script

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Very, very useful. Thanks a lot!

Found another package that I didn't need: libchewing, it's an intelligent phonetic input method library for Chinese. I don't need that!
    "And so, the newb, explores its new environment. Hesitant at first, but by learning from its mistakes, more confident with each step it takes."

Beans
    Distro

Wow, a GUI for this? That would be a lot of code. I've written a small program to have a GUI for rsync (accidentally lost it), and a smaller program to set my CPU governor (doesn't work), but nothing this big. I might take that as a long term project... gtkorphan is similar.
    That's a great little script, thanks!
    Somewhere along the line I have already removed that package, but I'll add it to the list. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

I've added some packages to the script that phoenix81000 posted. A few that were autoremoved after the script anyway, some extra fonts, etc. I'll attach the modified script.
    I reinstalled a couple of computers recently and it got me to thinking about writing a simple program for this.
    But I'm a bit more understanding of the seemingly slow schedule that development has sometimes... I may have some time this fall to get that started. I'm sorting through NFS and wireless issues in the meantime...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Well, its like a year later? idk..

Anyway did u ever end up making a gui? If not i will **** a friend of mine to do it ^^ I hope the script has been useful for others.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ubuntu tweak (http://ubuntu-tweak.com/) now has this option

Beans

Thanks alot... this is great.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast