Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why Switch to Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Why Switch to Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by FyreBrand View Post
    I haven't found Vista to be clunky at all.
    well I have, its aero that gives it its clunkyness.
    I have tried to work with vista, but really its no improvement over XP... its worse.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    That is mostly FUD in my opinion, linux can work out of the box if given the chance.
    But then again you work for a company that is very pro microsoft...

Not really, I'm speaking from experience, I've seen Ubuntu break on people, people who don't know how to fix it. And these specific cases are things that shouldn't have caused such a problem.

by the way, i don't work for Cisco itself, CCNA is an industry certification for working on routers and other equipment. So thats not some kind of bias on my part.
    Steve

http://xercestech.com - Insanely geeky projects n stuff

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    well I have, its aero that gives it its clunkyness.
    I have tried to work with vista, but really its no improvement over XP... its worse.
    I actually didn't find Vista too slow or clunky on my hardware. But that's the point, you can't always be upgrading hardware and expect everyone to be running the latest stuff.

On the other hand, Aero isn't exactly special. You can get better effects in Linux on much older hardware.
    Main PC: Q6600 G0 @ 3ghz | 4gb RAM | 1.5tb HDD | 3x 17" TFT (3840x1024)
    Laptop: HP NC8430 | 2ghz Core Duo | 1gb RAM | 120gb HDD | WSXGA+
    PC + laptop + Synergy = 4 monitors with 1 mouse
    Pulseaudio + Celestion speakers = shared audio bliss

Beans

The real advantage of Aero is the DWM they use now, which is a compositing window manager. The flashy crap is cool yes, just like compiz is cool, but the compositing window manager is the real advance just like on Linux.
    Steve

http://xercestech.com - Insanely geeky projects n stuff

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Lots of free, easy to get programs. The Ubuntu repos are really, really nice.
    8.04 works great on most laptops out of the box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Good News!

A local computer store, Nine Tech Computers (formally T-9 computers), agreed to start selling pre-loaded computers with the agreement that I will help him for a minimal of one year so he has time to get used to it. His goals are to sell more computers to customers that might be turned off by higher priced Windows, then make money off support calls.

He let me pick out hardware from his shop to build an Ubuntu Demo machine which I am due to deliver next Saturday. I also agreed to supply him with CD's, customer support information, and marketing materials.

He is going to put the Ubuntu machine next to a Vista machine and let customers play with both. I did not know this, but he told me his decisions was based on a small following that check his shop every few months for the latest Ubuntu CD's that I have been providing.

I loaded the PC with 8.04 and installed some Ubuntu advertizement videos, Return to Castle Wolfenstein game under WINE, and lots of colorful links to these forums and other support pages. I am really happy to see a difference from a little effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Sealbhach View Post
    I think this has got some good arguments:

http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/ ...
    I could kiss you, I was looking for something like this as one of my information links.

-AR
    Actors make their living playing pretend, so why do we listen to them about how we should live in the real world?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234