Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] yaboot.conf oops

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: yaboot.conf oops

i fixed my computer this morning!

when i had edited my yaboot.conf i had made a .bak copy but i also just commented out my original file and put new stuff in on top.

i have no idea why, but booting from the ubuntu server cd and using rescue option, then entering the busybox shell it would not let me mount my partitions.
    what i ended up doing was just pressing enter and going into the normal installation mode. hitting escape to take me to the main installation menu and then detecting/mounting my cdrom from the options in the menu.
    i then selected execute a shell from the main menu when that was finished. note that i couldnt get access to my partitions without first using the detect cdrom option first..

from this shell i was able to mount my root partition on /dev/hda3
    i edited my yaboot.conf to its original form
    chrooted in but couldnt run the ybin -v -C /etc/yaboot.conf because my boot partition (hda2) and proc file system were not mounted.

i wasnt sure how to mount those so that the ybin command could do its thing, so instead i exited chroot back to the busybox shell and mounted hda2

from there i edited the yaboot.conf in that partition back to its original form and saved. exited the shell and selected abort installation. the computer reboots, loads x and here i am on my newly fixed laptop writing this message.

i'm so happy that i didnt have to do a reinstall!
    hope this may help anyone who accidentally screws up their yaboot.conf and needs to get things back running again. it only took me 4 days to figure out.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: [SOLVED] yaboot.conf oops

Congratulations!

I know that jaw-dropping feeling - one of two things happen: I either stand up like a rocket, or push the chair back when my mind is blown.

The best part is you have the confidence to optimize the system and restore it if things go wrong.
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12