Thread: [SOLVED] yaboot.conf oops

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[SOLVED] yaboot.conf oops

running an ibook g3 500mhz 192ram

i was editing my yaboot.conf so i could try to get my brightness keys working..

now i'm getting
    Code:
    /pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:3, \\hda3: unable to open file, invalid device
    when i rebooted

this wasnt the original entry in my yaboot.conf, but I cant remember what the original is and I don't have a bootable cd. i do have a backup of yaboot called yaboot.conf.bak but i dont know how i can access it. i'm stuck at the 2nd stage boot menu.

help please
    -b

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: yaboot.conf oops

At the second-stage of the yaboot boot: prompt, hit -tab- to stop the countdown.

Now you can go into single-user mode, ala

Code:
    Linux single
    at the 2nd-stage yaboot boot: prompt.

You'll have to choose which partition to drop into a shell from, typically /dev/hda3 if you let guided partitioning use the whole disk when you installed it. Just try them all until you get into a shell if you can't remember.

If you made the yaboot.conf.bak file in the same directory of /etc, you could then issue

Code:
    ybin -v -C /etc/yaboot.conf.bak
    THIS is one of the major reasons I like to use the long version of ybin, btw, so you can do a ybin on any filename in any path you choose to get your yaboot working again.

You may have to find your yaboot.conf.bak file if it isn't save to /etc, so perhaps run

Code:
    locate yaboot.conf.bak
    or
    Code:
    find / -name yaboot.conf.bak
    to find out where you hid it.
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

not working.. anything I type I get errors..

Code:
    Welcome to yaboot version 1.3.13
    Enter "help" to get some basic usage information
    boot: Linux single
    Please wait, loading kernel...
    /pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:3, /boot/vmlinux: Unable to open file, Invalid device

[EDIT] ok i found my ubuntu server 8.04 disk (now that i'm at home). booting from that into the shell it says my hard disk will be mounted at "/target" though i'm not seeing it..

we can either start now from this, or we can continue on without using the cd. whichever is best

thanks,
    -b
    Last edited by blampars; June 6th, 2008 at 09:20 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ah, what it is asking for is what partition to drop your shell into, a root partition. Highlight or type in what you know to be the root partition, and if you don't know, start with /dev/hda3 and work your way up if you can't get a shell.

Which model do you have?
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...dex-ibook.html

What may be an issue is that with only 192mb of ram, you may be facing a lot of disk thrashing to swap with a full Ubuntu install when all is said and done. Even Xubuntu could be too slow for your tastes - hard to tell since everyone has their own level of patience.

Do you have an existing OS on the drive, and are you interested in keeping it? If not, the easiest route may be to just start over, and allow guided partitioning to "use the whole disk" - although that means you lose everything previously installed.

I also think you are on the right track with the server install - and from there you can layer on a lightweight X and use more efficient lightweight apps.

If you want to go this route, I'd recommend taking a look at this excellent guide, even though the very beginning describes use with x86:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...wMemorySystems

Everyone has their favorite window manager, but for my money at this stage, I'd recommend the XFCE4 window manager.

Something to think about anyway - do you want to fix your yaboot, start over and use the whole disk, or perhaps start over with a minimal server install, and layer your own stuff on top? Either way is ok as long as it doesn't get you too frustrated.
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

here's the model i have.. http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ibook_500.html

I'm not using a full ubuntu install. I started out this little ibook project of mine from a server install. I installed xfce but found that it only ran slightly better than os x 10.3 panther that was on it when I got the ibook.

I've since installed fluxbox and have been using it as my window manager which has been a huge increase in functionality over xfce.

I do not have another OS on the drive, this is a dedicated linux install.

I'd really like to just fix my yaboot.conf. I've put alot of work into getting this little ibook up and running just the way I want it and I'm not going to let something as stupid as 1 line in my yaboot.conf make me reformat and start over.

I've now got the ubuntu server 8.04 cd i used to install on the ibook in the first place. I can boot to the busybox shell from the main menu in the cd. I've tried mounting the drive/partitions but can't seem to get going in that regard. it's just always unable to mount..

here's what i've figured out but havnt made any progress..
    list-devices disk
    and it tells me the drive is on /dev/hda
    i do list-devices partition
    and it tells me
    /dev/hda1
    /dev/hda2
    /dev/hda3
    /dev/hda4
    though i didnt make 4 seperate partitions i should just have the one main partition for the drive as thats how i set it up.

so i try mount /dev/hda /mnt
    and get unable to mount /dev/hda is not a directory or something like that

just get me rollin here and i'll be good to go i think.

thanks,
    -b
    Last edited by blampars; June 7th, 2008 at 07:45 PM.

Beans

Don't mount directly to /mnt... it's just not a good idea.
    make a directory to mount stuff to, like so:
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/disk
    and you didn't make 4 partitions, your install did.
    Partition 1 is the partition table, and partition 2 is the Apple_bootstrap partition that needs to be there to keep the firmware from ignoring your drive.
    All the goodies are on partition 3, and your swap space is partition 4.
    So...
    Mount partition 3 on your new mount point:
    Code:
    mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/disk
    Now do a 'ls /mnt/disk' and see what shows up...