Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to get dad a laptop by Father's Day (June 15)

Beans

Exclamation Need to get dad a laptop by Father's Day (June 15)

Hey folks, I was going to grab a laptop from Dell, but there's no way it would arrive by the 15th, so I'm back to square one.

I have never owned a laptop, so can you guys recommend some online places perhaps or what to look for? I'm hoping for a Core2 Duo or even an AMD dual core, at least 2gb ram and internal bluetooth, the rest is not important (hard drive could be tiny, burner is optional, etc.). I just want him to have a fast comp as he's never had a decent one.

Budget is ~$700 if that's possible. TIA for any help.
    "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." - Joseph Dunninger

Beans

Re: Need to get dad a laptop by Father's Day (June 15)

What wrong with just getting a laptop from the shop?

I wouldn't dream about buying my pc online.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by herbster View Post
    Hey folks, I was going to grab a laptop from Dell, but there's no way it would arrive by the 15th, so I'm back to square one.

I have never owned a laptop, so can you guys recommend some online places perhaps or what to look for? I'm hoping for a Core2 Duo or even an AMD dual core, at least 2gb ram and internal bluetooth, the rest is not important (hard drive could be tiny, burner is optional, etc.). I just want him to have a fast comp as he's never had a decent one.

Budget is ~$700 if that's possible. TIA for any help.
    1) Go to Bestbuy or some place like that
    2) Buy an HP. Not a Dell.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by acelin View Post
    1) Go to Bestbuy or some place like that
    2) Buy an HP. Not a Dell.
    That's a good idea, except for the HP part.

I will NEVER buy an HP computer after my brother's experience. I have a Dell now.....it's "ok". I loved my old Toshiba laptop.

You may also check Dell kiosks in the malls. They may be able to get a computer faster than ordering it online and maybe you can still use those awesome Dell coupons that are available online everywhere.

Would he be a Linux guy? If so, you can consider the Dell/Ubuntu PCs or possibly the new Acer computers with Linux (though not sure if they're available yet).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
    That's a good idea, except for the HP part.

I will NEVER buy an HP computer after my brother's experience. I have a Dell now.....it's "ok". I loved my old Toshiba laptop.

You may also check Dell kiosks in the malls. They may be able to get a computer faster than ordering it online and maybe you can still use those awesome Dell coupons that are available online everywhere.
    Dell kiosks no longer exists- go to the same best buy.

I wouldn't suggest Dell's for Vista though- there are completely useless together. In my exp. HP's run Vista the best. They are number 1 in sales right now, and place above Dell in quality. Not to mention they look nicer than Dell's...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Dell kiosks no longer exists- go to the same best buy.

I wouldn't suggest Dell's for Vista though- there are completely useless together. In my exp. HP's run Vista the best. They are number 1 in sales right now, and place above Dell in quality. Not to mention they look nicer than Dell's...
    Could be true....the Dell I have that is fairly new came with Vista and it was a horrible combination. I got rid it after a month and went back to XP, then baptized myself in Ubuntu on a dual boot.

My experience with HP was a horrible computer and then the WORST customer service ever. My brother spent months and $100's of dollars of long distance phone calls to tech support over about a 4 month period for a computer that was BRAND NEW. It took 4 months before they finally RMA'd it and sent him a new computer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
    Could be true....the Dell I have that is fairly new came with Vista and it was a horrible combination. I got rid it after a month and went back to XP, then baptized myself in Ubuntu on a dual boot.

My experience with HP was a horrible computer and then the WORST customer service ever. My brother spent months and $100's of dollars of long distance phone calls to tech support over about a 4 month period for a computer that was BRAND NEW. It took 4 months before they finally RMA'd it and sent him a new computer.
    Ughh yeah you are right, they have bad customer service. Dell's is not any better though- my brother had a Dell that was DOA, so he sent ti back. 2 months later he got a REFURBISHED computer that was also DOA, then another one which its memory stick slots and DVD drive didnt work on, and finally after 6 months got a good computer, still refurbished.

Not too mention Dell is in a lawsuit right now for fraud.

Beans

Yeah, I was figuring Best Buy, just thought I'd put it out there if someone knew of a deal or anything.

I think I'll be getting this one: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...1&catid=25253#
    "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." - Joseph Dunninger

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ughh yeah you are right, they have bad customer service. Dell's is not any better though- my brother had a Dell that was DOA, so he sent ti back. 2 months later he got a REFURBISHED computer that was also DOA, then another one which its memory stick slots and DVD drive didnt work on, and finally after 6 months got a good computer, still refurbished.

Not too mention Dell is in a lawsuit right now for fraud.
    That doesn't much surprise me either. I wasn't "leaping" at the chance to get a Dell. I've always used Dells at work and had mixed success.

I've heard more bad stories about them than good, and after I ordered mine from them online, I saw how HORRIBLE their reputation was for online computers (rated like 1/10 most places) I was terrified. I got lucky that at least mine was 100% functional (if you can call Vista that).

The only reason I did it was with the Dell coupon, I couldn't pass up the price. the laptop specs I got were about $1300-1500 for every other brand, but I got a $400 coupon putting my cost at just under $1000.
    Yeah, I was figuring Best Buy, just thought I'd put it out there if someone knew of a deal or anything.

I think I'll be getting this one: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...1&catid=25253#
    When I had to buy a new one recently (and I was in a hurry because I was without a computer), I found this website a great resource not only for research, but deals. They have a whole subforum for current specials.

http://www.notebookreview.com/
    Last edited by KingTermite; June 6th, 2008 at 06:13 PM.

Beans

Nooooooooooooooo! I have an Acer Aspire, only about a year old, and its horrible!!!!!! For Vista especially- and it will never run Ubuntu as well as Ubuntu should.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast