Thread: utilising swap partition

Beans

utilising swap partition

Ubuntu is not loading the swap partition. Please help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: utilising swap partition

What do you mean it is not loading the swap partition? To enable swap if its disabled run 'swapon -a'.

If what you meant to say was Ubuntu is not using any swap then thats a good thing. It means you have enough ram to run all your programs without having to swap program's memory onto disk. It also means Ubuntu probably has enough space to cache commonly used files in ram instead of having to read them off the disk all the time. If thats not the case let me know and I will see what I can do to help.
    GNU/Linux>Windows

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: utilising swap partition

Have you installed another linux distro after ubuntu? If you have, it may have formated the swap you've been using and changed its UUID so it does not mount at boot time. This didn't happen in older ubuntu versions as the fstab file worked using /dev/hd* nomenclature, not UUIDs.

Find out what your partition UUIDs are by using
    Code:
     ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid
    and copyf the swap partition UUID alphanumeric string. You can then backup your fstab file with
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstabbak
    and then edit your fstab with
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
    changing the old UUID to new. Now
    Code:
    sudo mount -a
    should get it back and running.

You could even go back to fstab using the /dev/hd* naming system, which still works, but as an exercise in understanding linux partitioning, I thought it worth giving you the whole works.