Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partition Question(Resize)

Beans

Partition Question(Resize)

First off, I am running 8.04 on a Dual-boot(w/XP). During my original install I partitioned Ubuntu for 20GB, and left the rest for XP. However, I want to resize my original partition for Ubuntu to be larger. I have shrunk my XP by another 20GB and want to give that unallocated space to my Ubuntu filesystem. I tried to do this with Gparted and Vparted but unable to do this.

My question is, can I resize this as of right now 20GB partition for Ubuntu and make it larger by adding an additional 20GB of unallocated space taken from XP?

OR

Do I need to create another partition for this new 20GB space I created?

Thanks, and best regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Partition Question(Resize)

Did you try to use Gparted while you were running your standard Ubuntu install? Because you can't make changes to any partition while it's mounted, which your root partition would have been.

If you boot into your LiveCD and try again your should have no problem.

Beans

When viewing your partitions with GParted, where is your NTFS partition located?
    If you your NTFS is at the left-side and Ext3 on the right-side there is no chance for you to resize it.
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

With my small experience of partition programs you should be able to merge similar partitions together. So long as they are the same file system type and are next to each other.

Another solution might be to create a new partition with this space and either use that as your /home or just mount it as separate.

Beans

[IMGhttp://i26.tinypic.com/zydde1.png[/IMG]

This is how it looks on Gparted. I also tried to resize it using Parition Manager before my OS booted up.

sda/7 is the one I want to make larger.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by iaculallad View Post
    If you your NTFS is at the left-side and Ext3 on the right-side there is no chance for you to resize it.
    Gparted has been able to resize partitions in both directions for a while now.

You'll need to resize your extended partition into the free space and move your swap to the left. Then you can expand and/or move your ext3 partitions.

Just out of interest, what is your 2GB ext3 partition (sda6)? A small /home? And you've also got a 1GB NTFS partition. If those aren't doing anything useful you might as well get rid of them while you're in there playing about.
    Last edited by Paqman; June 6th, 2008 at 08:57 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rolnics View Post
    With my small experience of partition programs you should be able to merge similar partitions together. So long as they are the same file system type and are next to each other.

Another solution might be to create a new partition with this space and either use that as your /home or just mount it as separate.

Well I would prefer to have one home partition, if possible. So I would have to create another partition and merge them together?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    My error, I had no update with GParted's updated feature. Since what version of Gparted enabled the resize of partition on both directions?
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Gparted will resize, but looking at your screenshot you've got the swap partition and a couple of other partitions in the way. It doesn't look like you'll be able to add that space to the Ubuntu partition. Probably the only solution I can think of is a new install, but maybe someone else has a better solution?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast