Thread: Minimal Install

Beans

Minimal Install

Sorry, this is just a quick question. I've built up a system from an install of 8.0.4 server. It just struck me, though, should I have used the Alternate Install and chosen Minimal install to do this? Am I losing speed this way? And finally, should I reinstall with a Minimal off the alternate install disc? Thanks.
    "My enemies think before they act. I act before I think. It gives me an advantage."

Beans

Re: Minimal Install

you should be fine, just get the feel of it, play with it, decide what you like application wise, you can try the alternate command line on the next install. the first couple of times you do it from the base up is for learning, use it for practice.

Inxsible is offline Badabing Badabang Badaboom...Sucker!
    Beans

When you build up from the server, you get some apps like apache server etc etc.

which you may or may not want. Minimals are best because they install nothing but the core...so you can decide what you want on your system.

Having said that, I am sure you will probably be building from ground up at least a couple of times. So for now, you should be ok.

Also, you can get a different minimal CD. you dont even have to get 650 MB of alternate if you are going to install minimal. Minimal CD's for Ubuntu are available here. They are all less than 10MB for i386 and 64 bit pcs. Saves a lot of bandwidth
    Shed that weight!! -- Apps | Window Managers

Arch + i3 (tty1) Arch + wmfs (tty2)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Inxsible View Post
    Also, you can get a different minimal CD. you dont even have to get 650 MB of alternate if you are going to install minimal. Minimal CD's for Ubuntu are available here. They are all less than 10MB for i386 and 64 bit pcs. Saves a lot of bandwidth
    No kidding! Thanks- next time I build I'll use a minimal CD.
    "My enemies think before they act. I act before I think. It gives me an advantage."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

if you installed from server cd then yuo'll have the server kernel installed. that one is more geared towards server stuff and not desktop. You maybe want to change that and install the -generic kernel.

Beans

So do you think that I'm losing performance with the server install; I know I'll use minimal if I reinstall, but will minimal gain performance? With kernel differences it seems likely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

whether you gain performance or not is based upon many metrics...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Phonan View Post
    So do you think that I'm losing performance with the server install; I know I'll use minimal if I reinstall, but will minimal gain performance? With kernel differences it seems likely.
    I'd say probably not to make any noticeable difference. And if you are, the performance loss is likely to be very minimal. However as hyper_ch says performance gain/loss is based on a number of factors.

Usually a vanilla server or minimal install provide excellent performance, not least because initially there's no GUI desktop.

Beans

All right, thank all of you very much. I'll keep what I have right now, but if I ever reinstall, it'll be with the Minimal CD. Thanks.