Thread: 2 questions

Beans

2 questions

Hi

I downloaded Ubuntu 8.04, burned to cd, tried it and thought its good. I dual installed it with Windows, and now have two questions:

1) to try from the cd I had to select the "Reboot and run from disk with help" option, thus now when I select to use Windows (and not the installed Ubuntu) I am asked by my computer a second time if I want to run Windows or Ubuntu (from the cd, not the install). How do I change this? Do I just delete the folder named "ubuntu" on my Windows hard drive?

2) For future reference, I now have both Windows and Ubuntu on my laptop, but when uni finishes I most likely will remove Windows entirely. I guess this means to regain one single, unpartitioned hard drive I will need to reinstall Ubuntu as well?

Cheers for any help you can give.

Padje Dog

Beans

Re: 2 questions

Quote Originally Posted by Padje Dog View Post
    Hi

I downloaded Ubuntu 8.04, burned to cd, tried it and thought its good. I dual installed it with Windows, and now have two questions:

1) to try from the cd I had to select the "Reboot and run from disk with help" option, thus now when I select to use Windows (and not the installed Ubuntu) I am asked by my computer a second time if I want to run Windows or Ubuntu (from the cd, not the install). How do I change this? Do I just delete the folder named "ubuntu" on my Windows hard drive?

2) For future reference, I now have both Windows and Ubuntu on my laptop, but when uni finishes I most likely will remove Windows entirely. I guess this means to regain one single, unpartitioned hard drive I will need to reinstall Ubuntu as well?

Cheers for any help you can give.

Padje Dog
    I'm not sure what you mean in your first question.

Answer two, no it's not necessary to reinstall ubuntu (unless you installed it using "wubi" in windows).

But, it will be faster to do so.

You can join partitions together without losing the data on them, but that can take extremely long (like days, not hours).

Beans
    Hidden!

1) Not sure, try renaming the folder to see what happens. If it doesn't work or it messes something up you can just change it back.

2) Nope! You can use Gparted to delete your Windows Partition and resize your Ubuntu Partition so that it takes the full drive. Its not hard, just post when you need help.
    Registered Linux User: 453202 Registered Ubuntu User:17339
    WARNING: Don't take code or candy from strangers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

1) No offense, but you did remember to remove the disc from the computer, right?

2) No, you can delete the Windows partition and resize the Ubuntu partition. Just make sure you back up any data you want to keep!
    Why are uploads slower than downloads? That's easy. When you upload, the computer has to push the bits upward. When you download, the bits just fall by gravity, so it's much faster.

~/ ~/ on the range...

Beans

Cheers for the quick replies!

1) yes the cd is removed, I'll try and rename the Ubuntu folder and see what happens. Its not a real issue or problem the way it is, but just one of those things that you see and say to yourself "hmmmm thats not right, I want to make it right"

2) Fantastic!

Thankyou