Thread: Laptop recommendations?

Beans

Laptop recommendations?

I'm looking for a laptop that will run Ubuntu as painlessly as possible. I just bought myself a Toshiba, but I think it's going back to the store since it's having obvious (see my post about it if you're bored) issues from the start with Ubuntu. Is dell a good choice? I know they tend to support linux installs better than most.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Laptop recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by ggtsu View Post
    I'm looking for a laptop that will run Ubuntu as painlessly as possible. I just bought myself a Toshiba, but I think it's going back to the store since it's having obvious (see my post about it if you're bored) issues from the start with Ubuntu. Is dell a good choice? I know they tend to support linux installs better than most.
    I too tried an A305 model and found the 3945ABG card spotty at best and the Marvell ethernet not supported at all.

I then bought an A205 S5859 and it worked perfectly OOB. Ethernet, 4965 wireless, web cam, card reader (SD only), X3100 with Compiz, HDA sound (headphone jack sense), and microphone (front and bezel).

Works very well.
    Windows XP - Excellent computer virus detector.
    Windows Vista - Most bloat for the money.

Visit my Ubuntu Resource Website http://www.stchman.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well if your in the UK then definitely buy a Novatech laptop, I have one and they are top-notch!

Outside UK, then it would definitely be a Dell with Ubuntu, although they price it the same or more expensive then the Windows counterpart?

However, I have had 2 Dell laptops and my first one was a Inspiron 6000, and it literally totally failed! Only after 13 months, plus it was very poorly made and the components did look cheap. So I would think twice about Dell, plus there support was not good at all. Although my second (a replacement) E1505 has been okay, it still doesn't give Dell a good name.

Think twice about Dell, and DEFINITELY go for the 2 years warranty. 3 years, too long and after that you get excuses saying parts are only available at the repair center.

A 1525n with Ubuntu, and a 2 years warranty. Good choice!

I hope I have helped you make a decision.

Nick.
    Novatech X40i Laptop (Clevo M540r) Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 2GB Ram 160GB HD Intel 965 Santa Rosa Chipset Intel X3100 graphics Intel PROWireles 4965 Realtek 8111 Ethernet Ubuntu 8.10 & Windows Vista
    Linux User: 460766 & Linux Machine: 369111

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

System 76. i have no regrets about my dell precision, but these ship with ubuntu preinstalled

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by X40nick View Post
    However, I have had 2 Dell laptops and my first one was a Inspiron 6000, and it literally totally failed! Only after 13 months, plus it was very poorly made and the components did look cheap. So I would think twice about Dell, plus there support was not good at all. Although my second (a replacement) E1505 has been okay, it still doesn't give Dell a good name.
    Wow, that's kind of surprising to hear. I used to buy only Dell throughout the '90s and always thought their hardware and support was excellent. How the mighty have fallen...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

A few days ago I had my Lenovo T61 arrive. I put Ubuntu 7.10 on it almost immediately and it works 100% without having to change anything. I was impressed

The build quality for the Lenovo laptops is the best I've seen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Around a month ago I got an Acer Extensa 5620Z from Circuit City and it works very well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well there are millions of users who are happy with their laptops/desktops but they just don't match up to the other brands. I could have a 1525 and it might survive a good 5 years, but I would definitely know that I was lucky.

The Latitude range is pretty decent, and I would buy on of them. But they are for business users only. The Vostro line is just another way of selling a Inspiron, in every colour you want. As long as it is black.

Dell products just don't have a quality feel.

Sager, however are very good. They use Clevo, and I am typing on a Clevo and it is fantastic.

I would go for the 12" Sager, or their 15" model, this one: http://www.sagernotebook.com/product....php?pid=22592

I do however predict, Dell will not be in business in 5 years time. They would of been either bankrupt, indicted for fraud, or failing too much that it was bought by a rival firm.

I honestly think Google are going to enter the hardware market with their own computers and Google Linux OS.

Sorry for drifting off topic. Bottom line, consider another brand.

Nick.
    Novatech X40i Laptop (Clevo M540r) Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 2GB Ram 160GB HD Intel 965 Santa Rosa Chipset Intel X3100 graphics Intel PROWireles 4965 Realtek 8111 Ethernet Ubuntu 8.10 & Windows Vista
    Linux User: 460766 & Linux Machine: 369111

starcannon is offline Chocolate Ubuntu Mocha Blend
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

My favorite 3 sites to shop for Ubuntu Pre-installed are:

Dell Ubuntu Models

System 76

Zareason

Enjoy, and happy hunting