Thread: Need a wireless router / AP recommendation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Need a wireless router / AP recommendation

So, i'm getting internet in my apartment later this week, and I want to be able to connect wirelessly, as I imagine the modem's going to wind up in an awkward location, and regardless, I want to be able to move around.

Here's what I want:

• Small and Compact
    • Administratible from Linux (preferably web based)
    • WPA Support

I'll only have one computer on this "network", so I don't know if a simple AP would work or not...

I think Linksys's WTR54GS would have been perfect, but it's not available anymore.
    Thinkpad T61p: 15.4" WUXGA Screen, Core 2 Duo T9300, 4GB DDR2, 512MB Quadro 570M, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, DVD+RW, Intel 4965AGN+Bluetooth, 9 Cell Battery
    http://blog.zachtib.com

Beans

Re: Need a wireless router / AP recommendation

I installed a Linksys WRT54G2 wireless router a few days ago and it is working great on 64-bit Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by dlmoak View Post
    I installed a Linksys WRT54G2 wireless router a few days ago and it is working great on 64-bit Ubuntu 8.04
    I know, and I've used Linksys routers in the past, but I'm looking for something tiny that i'll easily be able to take on trips, similar to Apple's Airport Express

EDIT: This looks perfect: La Fonera Any Comments?
    Last edited by zachtib; June 5th, 2008 at 08:20 PM.
    Thinkpad T61p: 15.4" WUXGA Screen, Core 2 Duo T9300, 4GB DDR2, 512MB Quadro 570M, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, DVD+RW, Intel 4965AGN+Bluetooth, 9 Cell Battery
    http://blog.zachtib.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by zachtib View Post
    So, i'm getting internet in my apartment later this week, and I want to be able to connect wirelessly, as I imagine the modem's going to wind up in an awkward location, and regardless, I want to be able to move around.

Here's what I want:

• Small and Compact
    • Administratible from Linux (preferably web based)
    • WPA Support

I'll only have one computer on this "network", so I don't know if a simple AP would work or not...

I think Linksys's WTR54GS would have been perfect, but it's not available anymore.
    I use the Linksys WRT54G and it works very well. They can be had for under $50 and support WPA 1/2, WEP, QoS, and uses web browser based administration. They are also one of the most popular to run third party firmware to increase their functionality. Router has very good range as well.
    Windows XP - Excellent computer virus detector.
    Windows Vista - Most bloat for the money.

Visit my Ubuntu Resource Website http://www.stchman.com

Beans

I'm using the Asus WL-520GU flashed with the DD-WRT firmware. It's really customizable and cheap. It's not that big. I love it. You can administer it through the web. And it does WEP, WPA, WPA2 personal and enterprise.