Thread: partition question

Beans

partition question

I am planning to reformat my computer (dual boot with Ubuntu 8.10 and Win XP) and just had a quick question on Mount Points. I would like to split my hard drive 40-40-40 giving Ubuntu and Windows both 40 gb and then a FAT32 as shared space, for Music and pictures and such so I don't have to fuss with NTFS on Linux or vice versa. Now my question is when running the Ubuntu partitioner, What mount point would I assign the FAT32 partition, or do I not need to assign it any. I know last time I tried to put my /home on a different partition for some reason it failed and I had this drive it named 3.3gb volume that I needed to enter to root pw to look at, and everything in it was locked, and id like that to not happen again.

Thank you for any help.
    -Brian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: partition question

You don't want to assing a mount point to the fat32 partition.
    Make 4 partitions:
    1 - windows install
    2 - Shared Fat32 space
    3 - Linux install - mount point /
    4 - Linux swap
    Allons-y Alonzo! - The Dr.
    Is that what Time Lords do? Lop a bit off, and grow another one. You're like worms! - Donna Noble
    The world is a mess... and I just need to... Rule it. - Dr. Horrible

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ubuntu should automatically detect the fat32 partition and mount it to /media/ when you install (plus it will place a link to it on your desktop too)
    Is that what Time Lords do? Lop a bit off, and grow another one. You're like worms! - Donna Noble

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

linux is good at handling ntfs nowadays. you sure you wanna go with fat32?

Beans

Any additional drives generally populate your systems /media folder. I normally just mount all my additional storage hdds under it.

For example:

sda1 would get amount point of /media/sda1
    sdb1 would get amount point of /media/sdb1
    and so on.

Since your partition will mainly be used as a shared drive /media/shared is also an easy option. Post back if you have any questions. Hope this helps. =]
    Quote Originally Posted by *snip*
    I love it when people stop trying to help me and I just uninstall ubuntu because of it . . .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You shouldn't have to specify /media/sda1 in the partition editor during the install, ubuntu will do it automatically for you on boot.

Beans

i did exactly the same, but my fat32 seems to be mounter to media/sda0 and there's a locked side beside it in gparted. and i can't create folder or edit the fat32 partition. how do i enable this?

last time i just reformatted the partition, then only could i edit anything in it altho copying files from the ext3 partition to the fat32 was very very slow, nvr reachin beyong 1.8 mbs.
    Last edited by 7aboobs; July 15th, 2008 at 05:56 PM.